4 replies to this topic

#1 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

I spent a fair amount of time on the web trying to find a source of beadboard that wouldn't cost a fortune to get shipped to OKC.

After a fair amount of Googling I found a source on the west side of OKC...and learned a lot about beadboard in the process.

Beadboard is sliced from 4'X8'X40" blocks of foam. Taylor Foam here in OKC makes all sorts of things out of beadboard including signs, architectural shapes, and even can make custom props. For reflectors they have a machine that produces slices at any thickness you want. I just had them make up six 4'X4'X13/16" reflectors that were $8.40 each.

Taylor Foam's website is: http://www.taylorfoam.com/

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3076 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

I spent a fair amount of time on the web trying to find a source of beadboard that wouldn't cost a fortune to get shipped to OKC.

Hal,

Home Depot sell 8' x 4' sheets of bead board for about $12-14.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hal,

Home Depot sell 8' x 4' sheets of bead board for about $12-14.

Not in OKC...I checked them and Lowe's first. What they have here is styrofoam insulating board that has a shiny plastic film on the white side. As a result you get a specular (mirrorlike) reflection that looks like h*ll.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Not in OKC...I checked them and Lowe's first. What they have here is styrofoam insulating board that has a shiny plastic film on the white side. As a result you get a specular (mirrorlike) reflection that looks like h*ll.

Yes, semi-matt silver on one side, removable plastic film on the other. In any case, it sounds you found a better price for a basic consonable item.

#5 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

I've never thought to check out a foam place, good idea. I too have been using the Home Depot variety and stripping off the vapor barrier. One thing on thickness though, is that I've found beadboard bounce that I've inherited from grip houses is usually made from thinner material, maybe half inch, and always backed up by foam core.

Which brings me to this problem. In my experience, putting black and white foam core on a reflector with the black side out, (so you have some handy negative fill or a flag), is a big problem because when you leave it out in the sun, black side up, it gets hot and warps like mad, becoming concave on the black side and convex on the opposite which makes the reflector far less efficient. Anybody else run into this?

Edited by Steve London, 20 October 2010 - 11:17 AM.

Opal

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape