Demian Barba
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • brooklyn, NY

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

Simple question: Does 3-perf 35mm obliges for a DI or can it be printed optically?
i am in Turkey preping a feature and the editor suggested an optical print. I'll be thrilled sine, being a young DP, i though that I have totally missed that both and DIs would be always the case for me. On the other hand we don't have that much stock and going 4-perf becomes risky. On 3-perf we are OK.

thanks in advance,

Demian Barba

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

It is possible to do an optical 3-perf to 4-perf or even 4-perf anamorphic on an optical printer. It requires a 3-perf modified cam shaft for the shuttle on the printer. There may be a shop in LA which has this I had thought about it for our optical printer but have not got that for yet.

-Rob-

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

I expect you will spend way more money than just shooting 4 perf, 1:1.185, the way low budget filmmakers have historically shot 35mm Features. Older 4 perf cameras will rent for peanuts, unlike the latest 3 perf offerings.

Hi,

Simple question: Does 3-perf 35mm obliges for a DI or can it be printed optically?
i am in Turkey preping a feature and the editor suggested an optical print. I'll be thrilled sine, being a young DP, i though that I have totally missed that both and DIs would be always the case for me. On the other hand we don't have that much stock and going 4-perf becomes risky. On 3-perf we are OK.

thanks in advance,

Demian Barba

#4 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

I think Stephen is right unless you plan to shoot a very large ratio of film to finish the 3-perf to 4-perf optical conversion will be expensive. 4-perf to 4-perf would be a smarter route and if you wanted a 2.40 finish then think about anamorphic lenses.

-Rob-

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

Another thing to consider is two perf. It saves even more on stock and processing, and printing may be more readily available, because it dates from before there was DI.

With either two or three perf, before you shoot anything, make sure you have a lab lined up that can print it.

-- J.S.

Opal

Glidecam

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery