Photo

70mm Projection...anyone with experience?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

While 70mm projection has ceased to exist in my area for a decade at least, I have found a theatre with a pair of 70mm projectors which it has upto now been using for 35mm. I'm thrilled by the prospect of revitalizing their setup, and bringing back some 70mm films to screen!

If you have experience with 70mm projection, please PM me. I'd love to seek some advice!

Best,

BR

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Would those be AA-2 Norelco projectors? Back in 1997, I helped finance the purchase of a pair of them for the now city owned Warner Grand theater in San Pedro, and helped with the moving job. The late Bob Miller of Paramount was the expert on those machines. He had a big stash of junkers to use for parts on the five they had in use. Tim Burke in Chicago was the other big Norelco fan. He used to run 70mm changeover in his garage for his friends. The most important thing to find out is whether they still have the 70mm kits for them.

-- J.S.

#3 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Would those be AA-2 Norelco projectors?
-- J.S.

Alas no. They're Century JJ 35/70 dual purpose. I'm trying to book some time to tour the facilities to see for myself what the state of it is. I was told over the photo that these projectors need just about everything, since they've only been used for 35mm. We're talking rollers, gates, aperture plates, lenses, 70mm DTS reader, and possibly even the mag head. I'm hoping this is mistaken and perhaps they're stored away, but if they were bought as is, with the intent of 35mm only, they may have let the rest go by, by.

It's definitely going to be some work, that's for sure. But just the fact that they have 70mm capable projectors in place with a DTS sound system is half the battle, and I never thought I'd even be at this point, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic!

Best,

BR

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Well, OK -- Brian Kelley's the Century guy out here. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I'll try to look him up if you want.

-- J.S.

#5 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

Well, OK -- Brian Kelley's the Century guy out here. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I'll try to look him up if you want.
-- J.S.

Awesome John, I appreciate it! PM or email: brrfilm@gmail.com

#6 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

Brian,

Check out this site, lots of pros there also.

Film-Tech

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

The Slider