Dileep Madhu

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

hi everyone,
i am in an tight budget and can't really afford studio lights. I am hoping that i will be able to produce more or less same lighting effects with much cheaper light sources. Which light sources should i buy? i would appreciate some help on this topic. (creative lighting techniques using halogen, tungsten lights etc are also appreciated)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Why not Rent? For the price of renting a full kit of lights you could buy perhaps 2 heads...

#3 Dileep Madhu

Dileep Madhu

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

thanks but do you think we can replicate the three point studio lighting structure with common or much cheaper light sources to good effect?

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3061 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

Open face lamps (up to a certain wattage) can be reasonably imitated by security/work type fixtures available easily and cheaply at places like Home Depot (in the US) or B&Q (in the UK). If you are putting the light through diffusion, it really doesn't matter too much if it's coming from a $20 work lamp or a $300 movie light

Fluorescent lamps are pretty easy to improvise, as long as you use a High Frequency ballast, and high CRI tubes

Other than that, for any lamp with a lens, like a Fresnel, a Profile spot, a Source 4 or a narrow PAR, you are going to have to use the real thing.

#5 verlon allen

verlon allen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

China lanterns are cheep, and can be controlled to some extent with the aid of a blackwrap. Too, you can pick up some scoop style work lights for a harder light.. I would find units that have porcelain sockets and are rated for up to 660 watts, then you could outfit them with 500 watt photoflood bulbs (tungsten or daylight balanced)....Again I would suggest you have some blackwrap on hand to shape the light.

Think about mirrors too. You can pick up small 1x1 tiles or larger mirrors to steal a little of that free sunlight. If you do decide on mirrors, I would suggest you gaff tape the edges as they can become very expensive once you include the cost of stitches.

Good luck
V

ps the down side to using mirrors is that you are always chasing the light as the sun goes about it's business.

Edited by verlon allen, 05 November 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

Other than that, for any lamp with a lens, like a Fresnel, a Profile spot, a Source 4 or a narrow PAR, you are going to have to use the real thing.

Absolutely.

Of course, you can just go and buy a parcan from a theatrical lighting supplier, and put any PAR unit you want in it.

Also there are far cheaper things than source 4s that do more or less the same thing.

P

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Lots of lights you can use, I've just been doing some clearing out at my mother's house and we found my first lights - B&Q work lights would be really up market compared to these.

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies