No replies to this topic

#1 BenjaminCarey

BenjaminCarey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Shooting a scene in the Hamptons. Sun will be behind the actors, this is inevitable due to location and sun/sky trajectory. The director is fine with the wide 2-shot being in somewhat of a silhouette, so I figured I'd match the CUs with a high-contrast ratio on the face (3:1, with help of 6x6 1/2 LiteGrid).

[Originally, I thought about raising a 12x Lite Grid above them, but the characters are standing about 12 feet apart and I don't know how I could rig the frame so that it cuts the sun realistically [without a huge patch of shade] and so that it isn't in the background of the frame...]

ANYWAYS: To try and minimize the silhouette look, I think I'll set up one or two large bounce sources (12x UltraBounce or Griffolyn) and augment with REFLECTOR BOARDS. And, aside from any advice concerning the rest of my set-up, this is my main question.....
***Would it be more efficient/versatile to use a glass Mirror Board and shoot it through 4x4 silks, or to use Gold Lame?***
Again, I mostly want to achieve fill, but providing a kicker might also be nice.

I figured the glass would give me more control and distance than the others, but I want to avoid a hard, fake, overly punchy effect.

Thanks y'all!

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Abel Cine