#1 Micbress

Micbress
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

today i've shot some outdoor tri-x with my Nizo Pro, i've used the bulb/tungsten settings to have the film at 160ASA.

I know that to compensate the film and have it correctly exposed at "its normal 200 value" i had to underexpose manually with 1/3...but i've used almost all the time an ND2 filter (in sunny/normal daylight conditions) that cut off 1 stop ( ex: from 5.6 to 4 ).

Now my worry is connected to the exposure: letting the camera on Automatic and using the ND2 filter will give me an underexposed result or will be fine, considering the adding of contrast and the fact that the reversal is better underexposed?

Now i have a big doubt: if i let the ND2 filter on (that will cut off 1 stop) i must also compensate with -1/3 or the filter will be enough?

Will the ND2 filter used with Tri-x in outdoor shooting be too much and underexpose everything or will it offer some extra contrast and more "drammatic" blacks ?

Any info or advice will be much appreciated!

thank you all

#2 Micbress

Micbress
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

many views but no answer :)

I will send the material to Andec like that, hoping that will be ok...i was just hoping to have some infos regarding that, in order to know if i will be able to see something or not :)

#3 Miguel Loredo

Miguel Loredo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

If the lighmeter of your camera measures the light "through the lens" (TTL) as most Super8 cameras do, then screwing a ND filter in the lens has nothing to do with under/overexposing the film, beacuse the lightmeter itself will compensate consequently opening the diapragm.

To achieve a different exposure you have to film in manual mode, or either use any other way to change the normal value for the lightmeter (ie underexposure switch or something similar)

Edited by Miguel Loredo, 27 October 2010 - 09:18 AM.

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies