#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

There's a new interview with Chris Nolan, which is previewed in the LA Times. In it he discusses the title of the new Batman film, and according to the writer, reveals this:

Nolan was most eager to talk about the fact that Warner Bros. had agreed with his argument that the film should resist the current 3-D craze and instead use high-definition approaches and IMAX cameras to strike out on a different cinematic path than the stereoscopic technology that, for better or worse, has become the dominant conversation in the blockbuster sector.

Have Nolan and Pfister won over Warner Brothers? Could we see the third Dark Knight shot in ALL LARGE FORMAT?

The article is more of a preview, and says there is more to come, especially relating to Nolan's format choices. Here's a link to the whole piece:

LA Times Article

Until the longer article comes out, I'll be holding my breath with anticipation!

BR

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

If only there was a Digital Cinema camera with a sensor large enough to do justice to the IMAX lenses ...

http://www.abelcine....ntom-65-Camera/

Nolan and Pfister used a Phantom HD Gold for some of the high speed shots in Inception.

#3 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

For a split second, I thought the camera on the link was for SALE for 3,000. Silly of me, but still, a guy has to dream...

#4 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

I was just about to come on this forum and post the very same link to find out what you were all thinking. What interests me is the mention of high definition formats, I doubt what's currently on the market will hold its own against IMAX, but I'm curious to see what all your thoughts are on the matter.

Edited by Marcus Joseph, 28 October 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

For $3000 I might be willing to part with a busted sensor. Makes a great desktop conversation piece. Look at the size of that puppy! Excuse the crappy iPhone image.

Attached Images

• IMG_1475.JPG

#6 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

For $3000 I might be willing to part with a busted sensor. Makes a great desktop conversation piece. Look at the size of that puppy! Excuse the crappy iPhone image.

Nice! I'd like to hear the story of how that one got busted...some camera op must've had a BAAAAAAAD day!

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Nothing quite so entertaining. The sensor was rejected on initial QC. It is VERY hard to make something of this size.

#8 Ravi Kiran

Ravi Kiran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and while the 3D was the best I've seen yet, I felt that the IMAX-sized image did a lot of the work in providing an immersive experience.

Edited by Ravi Kiran, 28 October 2010 - 12:36 PM.

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape