The Hole 3D

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

I thought this was a textbook example of how to shoot 3D. It seemed as though the film had been designed with 3D in mind. The compositions make great use of the foreground, background and subjects moving from plane to plane, but never at the expense of story.

I think the lighting was fantastic for 3D, quite hard looking but wonderfully dimensional for 3D, with a great amount of separation between background and foreground and I think lots of hot rim lighting or variations of it. While I think it might look a bit high key and artificial in 2D, in 3D the images appear very rounded, contrasty with lots of depth, separated beautifully without having a flat pop up quality I think seen so often in modern 3D films. At one point, a group of kids several rows in front of me got up to change seats and I was startled, not realising they were not part of the movie!

Separation and the unexpected approaches impressed me greatly when watching THE HOLE. Often the actors would not be separated by backlighting, but by light projected onto the walls behind them. I thought this was a very innovative approach that seemed to achieve the same effect perfectly. The art direction too and the use of complimentary colours seemed to work in aiding the effect as well.

A brilliantly nostalgic Joe Dante film, too. It was really nice to hear such a great audience reaction to a film I felt was very innocent regarding the genre.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Argh, Tim, don't encourage them to shoot 3D...

P

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera