New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • South West,UK

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hello all,

I know we are talking about DI and Telecine here, However, i have a question regarding taking HD out to 16mm film print for projection.

I want to go down the Fuji film route for the vivid colour. I havent shot any Fuji stock as i can get hold of cheep Kodak film and the only films i have shot required the kodak grade of stock.

anyway, i have shot an art-house film in full 1080 and i am looking to go out to a stock that can really hold the vivid colour grade.

Anybody have any opinions or examples (youtube/vimeo/video) that i can have a look at and compare?! would really help me out.

Cheers

Kristian Butler

www.kristianbutler.com

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

Check out Cinevator if you're only doing a couple of prints. You may find that you can get a 35mm print for the price of doing a DI etc.

#3 Kristian Butler

Kristian Butler

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • South West,UK

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

Check out Cinevator if you're only doing a couple of prints. You may find that you can get a 35mm print for the price of doing a DI etc.

Cheers Brian!

That process looks insane, however i think still abit too costly for what im looking for. Any opinions on stock?

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:44 AM

I'd check out the costs, they make the print directly rather than needing intermediates and sound negatives.

Fuji tends to give that traditional film look, however, the workflow through to print can change things and you'd be best talking to who is doing your transfers and prints.

I assume you're doing your own 16mm projection, rather than the film festivals. However, if you're going for the latter (given the choice) I'd go 35mm, the projection is much more dependable.

#5 Kristian Butler

Kristian Butler

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • South West,UK

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

I'd check out the costs, they make the print directly rather than needing intermediates and sound negatives.

Fuji tends to give that traditional film look, however, the workflow through to print can change things and you'd be best talking to who is doing your transfers and prints.

I assume you're doing your own 16mm projection, rather than the film festivals. However, if you're going for the latter (given the choice) I'd go 35mm, the projection is much more dependable.

Cool, cheers Brian. I will post the outcome here when its all done :-)

#6 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

What companies actually have this Cinevator device?

It would be fun to output to 16mm but only if it could be done for under $500 for a 15 minute short.

Outputing negative might be better for archival reasons, plus making extra copies would be much less expensive at that point.

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

What companies actually have this Cinevator device?
Outputing negative might be better for archival reasons, plus making extra copies would be much less expensive at that point.

Here's a list:

http://www.cinevatio...view.jsp&sub=cl

You'd have to cost things out, but you might need a sound neg if using optical sound on your 16mm prints. I can't see any real reason to make more than 3 or 4 prints for a short, future proofing with a neg is another matter.

#8 Paul Korver

Paul Korver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 154 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

It would be fun to output to 16mm but only if it could be done for under $500 for a 15 minute short.

I don't believe the Cinevator can make 16mm prints... just 35mm. And it's highly unlikely one could find a rate like that even if it did. Cinevator film outs are normally about as expensive as Arrilaser because the Cinevator costs like 2-3x as much as an Arrilaser ($1.5M). It's also about 24 x faster (realtime).

I'd call www.filmtech.com. I think they work mostly with black and white but I know they make 16mm prints.

-Paul

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Willys Widgets