mehran fattahi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hi this is my first post ,
I don't know why but i feel part of a film-look of a motion picture video is actually being a bit slow; Compare to a digital tv camera like that use in shows and tv news that i think is a bit more life-like. Do it related to frame rate? I don't think that 24f is slower than 30f.

thanx

Sorry for my english!

:)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Narrative TV shows and movies are shot at 24 fps, and in the U.S., get a 3:2 pulldown for broadcast at 60i or 60P. Do movies shown on TV look like they have a different speed than the TV shows?

Besides, if you shoot at 30 fps and show at 30 fps, or at 60 fps and show at 60 fps, etc. the speed of the motion would be normal. So are you saying that movies are shot at a higher frame rate and slowed down by being shown at a lower frame rate? Everything is shown at their correct frame rate.

The only exception is in Europe where TV is 25 fps and some 24 fps movies and TV shows are just shown faster, at 25 fps, but then they would look a bit faster, not slower. But a European project shot at 25 fps might get slightly slowed down if shown in the U.S. at 24 fps. That's the only case where a movie may look a bit slower on TV in the U.S.

#3 mehran fattahi

mehran fattahi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thanx for reply!
I don't know if it related to fps at all But i just feel that in tv shows specially news people and objects move a bit more life-like with normal speed that we see with own eyes but movies on tv,cinema or monitor feel just slightly more slower and cinematic. I don't know if i make it clear.For example when i see documentary footage from a set of a film it feels far different from actual motion picture film look (regards of picture quality and lesser detail)

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

Thanx for reply!
I don't know if it related to fps at all But i just feel that in tv shows specially news people and objects move a bit more life-like with normal speed that we see with own eyes but movies on tv,cinema or monitor feel just slightly more slower and cinematic. I don't know if i make it clear.For example when i see documentary footage from a set of a film it feels far different from actual motion picture film look (regards of picture quality and lesser detail)

If you are talking about the news and reality programming, that is often shot at 60i instead of 24P, so there are a lot more motion samples per second, creating a more fluid, less strobey, look to the motion. At 60i or 60P, motion is being sampled 60X per second as opposed to only 24X.

#5 mehran fattahi

mehran fattahi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Ah yeas that's what i lookin for. Thanks a lot sir.

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

It could pacing, motion pictures tend to use wider shots than those used in TV because they're intended to be viewed on a larger screen where the eye can take in more detail than on the smaller TV screen. The cutting can to be a bit slower as well because of the extra information and you don't need to cut between CUs for the dialogue (in the worst cases ping pong editing), although this can vary from film to film.

#7 mehran fattahi

mehran fattahi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Yes, what you mention is also can play a roll in it.

Thanks.

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

CineTape

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets