#1 Rob Cal

Rob Cal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi, I started filmmaking 2-3 years ago, when I was like 11-12. I used to use a DV camera, which has real bad sound and video. So then I started using a picture camera, which has the option of video on it. I used that and the resolution is better, but I just can't stand the sound. It has every single noise around it, and I am trying to make good videos. I will be getting an HD camera soon, but I still will need a good way to record sound too. My youtube channel here:Mrcpgeek. So what I am asking, how can I tempoarily make the sound better, like recording with a recorder. Or anything.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Best not to use the non board camera mic, use a separate, good quality, cardioid microphone on a boom and use manual auto level setting rather than the automatic level(ALC) setting. Don't hold the mic too close to the mouth otherwise you get popping and distortion.

Using separate recorder (double system) you'll have to sync the picture and sound, which does take time and you'll need to use a clapper board. You should manage good quality sound with the camera sound, but you do need to work on mic placement and correctly setting the levels. Reading up on sound recording techniques will pay off and learning how to track lay the audio will make a big difference.

#3 Rob Cal

Rob Cal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:17 AM

Best not to use the non board camera mic, use a separate, good quality, cardioid microphone on a boom and use manual auto level setting rather than the automatic level(ALC) setting. Don't hold the mic too close to the mouth otherwise you get popping and distortion.

Using separate recorder (double system) you'll have to sync the picture and sound, which does take time and you'll need to use a clapper board. You should manage good quality sound with the camera sound, but you do need to work on mic placement and correctly setting the levels. Reading up on sound recording techniques will pay off and learning how to track lay the audio will make a big difference.

The thing is, how would I record the with the boom. I cant plug in a mic into my camera.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:06 AM

If it's impossible to plug an external mic into your camera your options are limited. When you're up grading to your next camera it's something you should be looking for. With your current camera you'll need to use an separate recorder, which runs at a crystal controlled speed - I believe by the nature of their design most modern audio recorders do this anyway.

You'll need to use a clapper board to give you a sync mark to match up the sound with the picture when you're editing. Even the most hi tech modern productions still use these, they always work.

#5 Rob Cal

Rob Cal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

If it's impossible to plug an external mic into your camera your options are limited. When you're up grading to your next camera it's something you should be looking for. With your current camera you'll need to use an separate recorder, which runs at a crystal controlled speed - I believe by the nature of their design most modern audio recorders do this anyway.

You'll need to use a clapper board to give you a sync mark to match up the sound with the picture when you're editing. Even the most hi tech modern productions still use these, they always work.

Thanks! : ] and can you check out my channel and seehow im doing?

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

Thanks! : ] and can you check out my channel and seehow im doing?

I think you'll be your own worst critic. A soundtrack is like high quality varnished wood, lots of thin coats, rather than one thick coat.

#7 Georg F

Georg F

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Vienna

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

the easiest way would be getting a HD cam that has a decent mic built in already
If you've found a camera that you'd like, you can search for some unedited video files that where taken with that camera to hear what it sounds like (for example on photo/video forums or blogs)

OR if the cam has a mic input, there's nothing that could go wrong

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Opal

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc