James Taylor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

I am a cinematography student preparing a project to be shot on 35mm and am wondering if desaturating your footage in post looks the same as treating the stock in some way whilst filming. If not what methods for desaturating stock can you recommend? Which stocks tend to have softer coloration? Also, controlling contrast is of interest. Am I right in thinking that 'pulling' the stock will achieve both?

Thanks.

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

I am a cinematography student preparing a project to be shot on 35mm and am wondering if desaturating your footage in post looks the same as treating the stock in some way whilst filming. If not what methods for desaturating stock can you recommend? Which stocks tend to have softer coloration? Also, controlling contrast is of interest. Am I right in thinking that 'pulling' the stock will achieve both?

Thanks.

yes, pulling the stock is a good start, but it is only part of the puzzle. Production design is the biggest help. both Fuji and Kodak have low contrast stocks available. some people think that most modern film stocks are lower in contrast and they are correct. Fuji has their 400T and Kodak has 5229, both are great to shoot with. You can further desaturate in post, but get yourself most of the way there in camera. Search the boards for how David Mullen shot Northfork. It is a beautiful film and he achieved the look photochemically. There is a lot of info about it on this site.

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS