#1 Sage Thomas

Sage Thomas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:36 AM

Interesting interview with Ward Russell who wound up being Tony Scott's DP on Days of Thunder and Last Boy Scout, also did X-Files. He came up through the electric department, kind of a neat story of someone making it in hollywood. http://moviemaverick...w-ward-russell/

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:12 AM

Nice find thanks for sharing!

#3 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Yes, thank you very much for posting this.

I was particularly interested in the comments regarding Tony Scott's shooting style and his earlier films avoiding dolly work. Very interesting that he seemed to create so much movement through editing, on what I consider to be high quality action movies (although I think Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop 2 both have memorable steadicam/handheld shots too). I think a lot of the Propaganda era music video directors at that time such as Dominic Sena and particularly David Fincher took that style but evolved it with more elaborate tracking moves.

Interesting too that Russell says the long lenses were in order to keep the lights as close to the actors as possible.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

I know Ward Russell. He is interesting to work for. One thing that strikes me about him is how good cameramen who have done big budget blockbuster films sort of just go away quietly into the night, so to speak. Maybe it is due to the fact that he lives in NM as opposed to LA, but he really should be getting more features, I think. A couple of years back, he sold all or most of his camera equipment to a school in Kansas, IIRC. And I really haven't heard that he is working on bigger pictures. Last I heard he was doing mostly commercials or operating on TV shows, but even then he seems to work a few times a year. Sad really, because I don't think it is his preference.

CineTape

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport