10 replies to this topic

#1 david richardson

david richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hello i'm a photographer but I've just made my first suer 8 video. I haven't made a film before but I love films. Any advice or criticism would be wonderful.

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hello i'm a photographer but I've just made my first suer 8 video. I haven't made a film before but I love films. Any advice or criticism would be wonderful.

loved it! way cool. Sort of underexposed, but not a problem. did you shoot it on ektachrome? Looks like it.

#3 James Compton

James Compton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Good job. Looks good for a first Super 8 roll. Keep up the good work.

#4 david richardson

david richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

Many thanks for checking it out! Yeah I used EKTACHROME 100D. The camera I used was a nizo 801, loved using it. I've been giving some 64t, but print might be better, for more latitude, i wanted an overcast day, but wish there was just a bit more light!

I definately want to shoot some more soon. I think I've fallen in love with super8. inevitable!

#5 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

Great first effort, David! Keep it up. Have you considered shooting S8 color negative? i.e. Vision 3 200T. Not as contrasty but way more latitude. I have even exposed it at 400 ASA at f/11. Beautiful stock. Colors are more muted. But human skin tone is gorgeous. And the new Vision 3 has even a finer grain structure than the previous Vision 2 version.

#6 Stephen Floyd

Stephen Floyd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Winlock, WA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

I like the editing style and the use of silhouettes, as well as the erratic motion in front of the fire. An intuitive piece.

#7 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:21 AM

That was great! I loved silhouettes and shutterless filming. I only had some trouble with the zooming and camera moves at the start... in my opinion, it's best to lock down your frame at let things happen within it-

#8 david richardson

david richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

Many Thanks everyone for the critiques. My photo stuff is below if anyone is interested

http://www.flickr.co...le/dangershark/

Nicholas I've just got slide film at the moment including some BW, so might take me a while to get through them, but I would love to use some I only use negative in my photography, so it makes sense.

Stephen I'm glad that mentioned that, FrantiĊĦek Drtikol inspires me, the way he capture soul in shadowplay. I totally agree Anthony. I wanted to get the feel of the movement in the music with the guitar wails, but maybe did it too much.. I forget how easily it is to play with a zoom sometimes.

#9 david richardson

david richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

oh regarding faster print film. I think my nizo only measures upto 1600iso. Could it still work automatically somehow?

#10 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

The Nizo 801 is an awsome camera. It goes up to 160ASA. I showed some friends and they really liked the video and the music... you can't touch that look and creative style with a video camera. There is 200T and 500T negative but it's hard to transfer at home. How did you transfer the films?

#11 david richardson

david richardson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

I meant 160.. 1600 iso super 8 would be special.. I'm already finding limits. I'm a massive fan of Christopher Doyles work with Wong Kar Wai and I know he uses a lotta wide lenses that I can;t touch withough macro I think. Many thnaks for the really kind comments. I loved using the format and wanna use it again, the dslr film movement didn't work for me, it's so as stale as the still format. Viva super 8!!!!!!!!

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine