Leon Grin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student
  • Tel Aviv

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

I would like to get some useful advices for lighting of interview. It’s going to be a kind of Q&A placed on the stage of a huge music hole in front of the audience. We are going to shot 3 people (one of them is interviewing). I been thinking to use 1K Arri Fresnel for key light , 2 x 650 watt Arri Fresnels for backlights , and 1 x 300 watt Arri (to have it just in case for the background). “The problem” is that the light needs to be not close to them and the stage is huge. I will also have some optional 800w quartz oranges but been thinking to use them as the bounce to the audience. Not sure that will have soft box but will have gels and dimmers for sure.
Any suggestion will help a lot !
Thnx.
Leon

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

I would like to get some useful advices for lighting of interview. It’s going to be a kind of Q&A placed on the stage of a huge music hole in front of the audience. We are going to shot 3 people (one of them is interviewing). I been thinking to use 1K Arri Fresnel for key light , 2 x 650 watt Arri Fresnels for backlights , and 1 x 300 watt Arri (to have it just in case for the background). “The problem” is that the light needs to be not close to them and the stage is huge. I will also have some optional 800w quartz oranges but been thinking to use them as the bounce to the audience. Not sure that will have soft box but will have gels and dimmers for sure.
Any suggestion will help a lot !
Thnx.
Leon

You're talking about lighting a HUGE space and people in it. I assume that you'll be videotaping or filming the event as well?

Anything in the neighborhood of a 1K is only good if it can be within six feet or so of your subject. Given the way you describe the environment, a "normal" lighting scenario won't work. Instead, you need to think about hanging lights from an overhead grid (if there is one) OR using the existing room lights and just shooting it as is. Anything you put on the floor will inevitably be in the way of your cameras or will interfere with the audience's experience.

I've done a few of these and unless you have COMPLETE control over the event (and "we" hardly ever do), then you will likely have to go with the existing lighting scheme and work with the "house" lighting technician to turn on/off the existing lights that are already there. A situation like this just doesn't lend itself to any kind of "film style" lighting in that the camera crew is generally secondary to the event itself. Event coverage is vastly different from narrative production and many many compromises have to be made. So, you will have to deal with the existing lighting units and then push your cameras to get the best exposures possible. Assuming that the cameras are a fair distance away also, you'll need longer lenses and they'll likely be wide open (aperture) and possibly even have gain introduced ( assuming you're shooting with video).

The only other alternative is to bring in some fairly large units to place in the wings of the audience area and/or the stage area, just to get the throw you'd need. But of course you'd also be flagging them quite a bit and a lot of cable out to the generator would have to laid. Without knowing the exact situation, it's difficult to give precise advise, so I'm just going off of my experiences before with shoots like this. :)

#3 Leon Grin

Leon Grin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student
  • Tel Aviv

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Brian,

Thank you so much for the answer, that was exactly what I was afraid of. We are filming the event and after your answer I'm going to change the concept and hope that lighting technicians from the music hall will be ready to help us.
Thanks again, it helped a lot.

Leon

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Technodolly