#1 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

I've got a couple stands that could use some tightening. However, the bolt that holds the base together needs to be held in place from inside so it won't turn when I try to turn the nut on the bottom. How do I hold the head of the bolt? It seems that I'd need a very long socket extension. Any ideas?

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:16 AM

Might help, if we knew why type of C-stand and the maufacturer. I'm guessing that this is the "typical" stand with spring loaded legs?

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

I'm not familiar with C-stands so this may not work, but if you use an adjustable spanner, you can hold the bolt still with pliers or a grip whilst turning the nut. Then, as soon as the bolt head is a bit tight against the tube you can tighten as required.

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

A sharp star washer under the bolt head will allow you to tighten the nut without having to hold the bolt. You just need to get the nut on and tight enough so the washer starts to bite.

#5 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

The problem is the bolt head is inside the main body of the C-stand. If I turn the bottom nut, the bolt itself turns because there is no star / lock washer, etc, at least not on this stand. There's no way to hold the bolt head unless I have something long enough to all the way down the length of the main body/tube (after the telescoping stages are removed).

I attached a diagram that shows how it's put together. This is a Matthews stand, but all Century-style stands share this same design as far as I know.

Attached Images

• 339564s.jpg

#6 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

OK, so it's the spring loaded type, held with a nylock nut to stop it undoing when you unfold the legs.

I think you're right, you'll need a long socket handle to hold the bolt head. It's possible that if you just poke a long rod down to compress the bolt head against the spring the friction might be enough to hold it while you tighten the nut. But nylock nuts grip pretty hard.

#7 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

yes you need a long socket extension to get at the bolt head.

#8 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

My way might still work if you ditch the nyloc nut and use a plain one. Grip the thread gently with pliers while you tighten the nut. Then when there is some thread protruding below the nut, hang on to that. Perhaps you can reduce the friction with some oil. A star washer on top of the nut might help it bite.

#9 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

My way might still work if you ditch the nyloc nut and use a plain one. Grip the thread gently with pliers while you tighten the nut. Then when there is some thread protruding below the nut, hang on to that. Perhaps you can reduce the friction with some oil. A star washer on top of the nut might help it bite.

mark,
your way risks gumming up the threads for future repairs, and turning a Nylock nut esp. one that large is a LOT of torque. More than what you could hold with pliers one handed on a sliver of thread.

#10 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Weld a deep well socket on the end of a long piece of steel tubing with a "T" handle welded to the other end. 1/2" EMT (thinwall) conduit would probably work. If you purchased all the materials and cut them yourself, a welding shop would probably knock it together for less than $20, maybe much less (a six pack or dozen Krispy Kreme's would probably get it done for nothing).

Use the mill (factory cut) end for the socket to ensure an exactly square cut for the socket to sit on.

#11 Ed Conley

Ed Conley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

I'll weld it for you for free

I probably have everything 'cept the socket

ed@screamingbroccoli.net

Edited by Ed Conley, 01 December 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#12 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

If it were me, I'd take a piece of 5/8 steel rod, grind four flats (3/8, or 1/2" square) to make a tight fit in the socket and drill a cross hole at the other end of the rod for a tommy bar. No welding, no damaging a socket, power drill, angle grinder or bench grinder, done!

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

CineLab

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal