7 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Phoenix

Josh Phoenix
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Im new to video and actually own a photography company(we just started getting into video). This board looks really good so I am glad that I can be part of this community. I hope I can contribute as much as take from the forum.

What I do in my business is mostly property videos so I usually use a dollyslide, do a bunch of transitions in the property then write a narrative to them afterwords. This is probably the most basic work you can do, but im getting good practice with the slides and movements of the camera.

I have a small business(a chiropractor) that wants me to do a short 30-45 sec commercial for there website and Ive never done anything like this. Im assuming the story will be pretty straight forward, and i do have some knowledge of composing shots due to my photography.
What I really need help with is a program for storyboarding on a APPLE computer.
Im assuming the way you would engage the client before shooting is to make a story board and then review it with the client?

Im brand new so any help is appreciated

#2 Joseph Arch

Joseph Arch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Or you could send them a link to a video similar to the one you have in mind so if the client changes their mind and goes with another company you would have not squandered time.

#3 Josh Phoenix

Josh Phoenix
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:57 PM

I appreciate that, I may give that a try. This client has already chosen me. Now its really just about making sure the story I want to do is matching his expectation. Also Im still going to need to build the story before shooting, so I would still like to start getting the hang of some of these techniques.

#4 Joseph Arch

Joseph Arch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Another way you can do it if you're not good at drawing and want a very good pictures for the shots: If you have a copy of "The Sims 2", you can recreate real-life settings, create Sim representations of your characters and then use the in-game screen capture ability to create the shots and then edit them in a photo editor to match what it is your going for. The more games you use, the more shots you can create.

#5 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

Never used this but I just stumbled on it and remembered your post.

http://www.reelcleve...tour/storyboard

#6 Josh Phoenix

Josh Phoenix
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

thanks alot for the help everyone. I think Im going to buy toon boom storyboard, it looks like it will work.. This board is great, thanks!

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

I've been doing life drawing classes to practise story boarding, much more interesting.

#8 Steve Woronko

Steve Woronko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Decatur, Ga

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

You can try Celtx, it's free, a pretty useful program. Not only for scripting,shot lists,etc, but if you have pics you can drag/drop them to create a storyboard.

www.celtx.com

hope that helps

Stussey
www.masscontrolmedia.com
stussey@masscontrolmedia.com

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport