luis moya

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

hello.
i would like to ask you if you could give me some advice to buy a professional video camera.
i am a little bit confused with this new´s DSLR cameras.what is the best option quality/price? an DSLR camera or a Professional video camera like a EX1?
i want a camera to make weddings and Eng jobs, but also to make some short movies.
can you help me with this?
thanks.

#2 Joseph Arch

Joseph Arch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

I would advise you to buy the panasonic GH2. It does exactly what you are looking for and will not cost you an arm, a leg and maybe you head.

Edited by Joseph Arch, 04 December 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

hello.
i would like to ask you if you could give me some advice to buy a professional video camera.
i am a little bit confused with this new´s DSLR cameras.what is the best option quality/price? an DSLR camera or a Professional video camera like a EX1?
i want a camera to make weddings and Eng jobs, but also to make some short movies.
can you help me with this?
thanks.

The issue is mainly one of needing an ENG zoom lens -- still camera lenses are not really optimized for a lot of ENG shooting. DSLR's are easier to use / more appropriate in controllable situations where you can take more time to get the focus right, or conversely, in an uncontrollable situation but one where you can accept a shallow-focus image where things go in and out of focus, as a look.

Not so good for following uncontrollable action, zooming in and focusing manually, operating smoothly handheld, where you absolutely have to get that shot in sharp focus... unless you want to spend a lot of accessories for the DSLR. So I would probably get both, a pro ENG camera and a DSLR for shots where you want that look from a larger sensor. It's not that expensive to get a DSLR so why not add one to your ENG package?

The lenses are the real issue, the image / recording quality is similar between these cameras other than the depth of field characteristics of a smaller versus larger sensor and the corresponding effect that has on focal length.

#4 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

I think something like an EX1 is definitely the way to go. They are a lot more practical in situations where you might not have exuberant amounts of time to set shots up. DSLR's are great for short films as they produce such shallow depth of field, because of their sensor size.

#5 luis moya

luis moya

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

thanks a lot for all your opinions. i found a camera that i am really interesting the panasonic AF101.
I don’t know if some of you know the camera. is like a dslr but with a real professional body camera and with interchangeable lenses.
what is your opinion about this camera?

#6 Joseph Arch

Joseph Arch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

It's a very expensive equipment. If you are able to afford it then got for it.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

Lenses can get expensive if you go for cine equipped glass, but the system looks interesting for the price. it'd be nice to see some "stress tests," though as I'm a bit leery about the AVCHD.

#8 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

thanks a lot for all your opinions. i found a camera that i am really interesting the panasonic AF101.
I don’t know if some of you know the camera. is like a dslr but with a real professional body camera and with interchangeable lenses.
what is your opinion about this camera?

It really depends on what you want to use it for. It isn't an ENG camera, so if you're planning to shoot news this wouldn't be a good choice. I'd also be prepared to spend additional money in putting together a shooting rig. The zoom lens choices are currently rather limited and are basically stills lenses.

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape