#1 Ben Luke Taylor

Ben Luke Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • P.A.
  • NW England

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

When putting a filter tray with a filter in to the cameras matte box, which is the correct way to face the tray?

Some people have told me the tray should be put in with the back (where the release clip is) facing the lens, so that if the filter were to fall out, it would fall back on the lens rather than come straight out of the matte box. Yet other people have told me to do it the opposite way to avoid damaging the lens which would be worth a lot more to replace than the filter if it were to fall out.

So which way is the 'correct' way, if there is one, or is it just personal preference?

#2 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

I think it's just a personal preference. I always do it so that it faces the lens. Don't know why, just have always done it that way.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

I usually do it away from the lens, so that when I'm wiping the filter I feel more secure about not pushing it out of the tray. Also depends on the situation & conditions. If it's a rough & rugged handheld type job, it may be best to load'em toward the lens just so they don't pop out.

#4 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

I always do it with it so that the filter, if it were to fall out, would face away from the lens. It has nothing to do with the filter falling out though. It is because, on Arri matteboxes, if you use a geared filter stage, and have the filters raised in or out when using grads, the back of the filter has more metal around the edges that protects it from flares. If you were to use it the other way around, the glass would be exposed more and would have the possibility of flaring internally.

#5 Duncan Vogel

Duncan Vogel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Vancouver BC

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

I always do it with it so that the filter, if it were to fall out, would face away from the lens. It has nothing to do with the filter falling out though. It is because, on Arri matteboxes, if you use a geared filter stage, and have the filters raised in or out when using grads, the back of the filter has more metal around the edges that protects it from flares. If you were to use it the other way around, the glass would be exposed more and would have the possibility of flaring internally.

This.

Also, on arri matteboxes, the geared filter trays only accept the tray in a face-forward position. So might aswell put all the trays in that way.

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post