TheodorTS

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi!

I am a DP in a norwegian film wich taks place i an old 1800´s style clasroom.
I really want to create cind of a yello ("red fog" style Roger Deakins) light throughout the room, with volumetric lightstreaks comming from the windows (like the picture illustraded)

Any ideas concerning equpment, posisoning (the room is total square and we have a flat ground outside the windows to place many lights) of the lights, gels, smoke/fog, etc!

Posted Image

- Theo :)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

You'll need some kind of "atmosphere," in the room, generally a bit of smoke, else you won't see the beams of light at all, it has to be evenly distributed in the room as well. once You've got that you just need a failr directional source light to get a "beam," such as a fresnel, for something as you pictured, however, I'd go with PARs with VNSP or NS bulbs for "harder," streaks or you can use the same fresnels (12 or 18K normally) just move them further away to make them more of a point source.

#3 TheodorTS

TheodorTS

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

You'll need some kind of "atmosphere," in the room, generally a bit of smoke, else you won't see the beams of light at all, it has to be evenly distributed in the room as well. once You've got that you just need a failr directional source light to get a "beam," such as a fresnel, for something as you pictured, however, I'd go with PARs with VNSP or NS bulbs for "harder," streaks or you can use the same fresnels (12 or 18K normally) just move them further away to make them more of a point source.

Thanks,

Yes, that sounds logic! I think some PARs with good bulbs should do the trick. But any tips regarding lighting the rest of the room, its not that big, and if i do it wrong maybe the streaks dissapear if i light to mutch inside?

I´m shooting og 16mm film btw :)

#4 David Desio

David Desio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • california, USA

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks,

Yes, that sounds logic! I think some PARs with good bulbs should do the trick. But any tips regarding lighting the rest of the room, its not that big, and if i do it wrong maybe the streaks dissapear if i light to mutch inside?

I´m shooting og 16mm film btw :)

Well, since you are doing a period peice I would say that the window(s) would be doing most of the work as far as lighting the scene. Maybe a few practicals insde the classroom here and there, but if you had a strong enough source coming through the window, I'd try first to do a bounce using that light, back into the scene. the smoke should lift the over all ambience and sice it's a small room you don't have a huge space to fill. Maybe a 1200HMI for an edge on the subject(s).

without pics that's as far as I can go

#5 bogdanovici barbu

bogdanovici barbu
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:25 AM

You might also consider using the M-R MoleBeams. these are specially designed light souces for creating stong light shafts.
Good luck.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Visual Products