Photo

What do you think and what could be improved?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Brahem Ziryab

Ben Brahem Ziryab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

Hello,

Look at this clip from a short, I did back in the filmschool days:

What do you or don't you like, in terms of the lighting and visual style? Does the lighting contribute to the emotional aspects of it? And in what way?

I'm doing a similar scene in the near future, so I'd be interested in knowing your perception of the cinematography and what could be improved.

Thanks,

#2 Nicholas Montgomery

Nicholas Montgomery

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Wow, brutal scene. I'm a fan of "less is more", especially in the case of scenes that deal with violent or cruel subject matter. Believe it can affect the viewer more.

The shots of the female character while being raped and when she cries out to her child (her face is dark, it's mostly a silhouette) works great for this reason. If it were me, I would have applied method to shots of the characters getting their throats cuts. The adult male gets stabbed off-screen, and that attack works the best out of the three. In my experience, it's difficult to get children to act appropriately in extreme situations like that, and in most cases you probably shouldn't try lest you traumatize them (unless they are well prepared for it). So shots that rely on good delivery of emotion from children sometimes don't cut it, so shifting the responsibility more to the camera (in this case, perhaps tighter framing, tending more towards CUs and ECUs) may help.

Overall, nicely composed scene. Lighting is simple but it fits.

My two cents.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:20 AM

Agree with all of NIck's comments.
The only thought I just had which could help yo a bit would be maybe lighting it with just a hanging light which as it gets knocked swings around wildly, like a hanging bare bulb would, but of course, not a bare bulb.
I really don't know what's going on in the film, so I can't really help out more than that, aside from the fact that I think i have that same zippo....

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

CineLab

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks