Chris Zecca

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

Hello to everybody,

I'm Chris, a new member of this site. :) I'm a director/editor, unfortunately not professionally. I'm going to shoot a very short video in a couple of days, and have no cinematographer, so I'm trying to understand how to get the best lighting results by myself. I truly hope you can help me, and please... take into consideration I'm a newby, so please try to speak as simply as possible, thanks :)

**SCENE AND MOOD**

The scene is set in a small room, a tavern in reality, which measures about 4 meters x 5 meters. The action takes place around a roulette table: there are two characters, one is the player, the other one is the croupier, that we will see only in the last shot (just his right hand is visible in the other shots). The backgound must be infinite black: I bought some black nonwoven fabric to create this effect. The video is a short "social commercial", the mood must be dramatic, with some tension, the player is betting on something very important for his life. I'd like the video to look quite dark, like we were shooting in a suspicious/shady place, with good backlight to cut the subjects from the black background. On the table there will be the roulette, fiches (chips), a bottle and a whiskey glass. The croupier is not a real croupier, we'll find out at the end: he's totally dressed in white, like a doctor.

**LIGHTS I HAVE/COULD USE + CAMERA**

- I have 2 lights with barn doors at present: one is a Ianiro Varibeam 1000w, the other is an Hedler which it has an halogen lamp I don't know if it's a 1000w ora a 650w (there's nothing written on the halogen lamp). For the Hedler I also have a 300w bulb.
- Then I have three not-professional halogen lamps: two 125w and one 400w, but they have no barn doors, and when I made some tests I found out this could be a reason not to use them, because I don't have any flags, either, and spill on the background and too much light on the subject would occur.
- I have a chance to use other 2 Ianiro Varibeam 1000w, and I can buy other wattages lamps for them: for instance, I can make them both 500w, or one 300w and the other 650w, and so on.

I have to shoot with a Panasonic 151 (HD) and a 35mm adapter, the SGPro (I have a 50mm f1.4 lens, a 105mm f2.8 lens, a 35mm f2.8 lens).

**SOME TESTS I MADE**

I made some tests with just the two barn doors lights I already have, one for the backlight, the other for the key light. I'd like to have half of the face of the player quite in the shadow, so I tried a 1k at 11 o'clock position for the backlight, 2 meters from the subject and 1,80 meters from the floor, and a 1000w (or 650w???) at 3:30 o'clock position, same hight and distance, with some diffusion material in front of it. I got a nice effect (I tried with another camera, though, a Panasonic DVX100 without SGPro, at f4.0), but then tought I don't know how to light the table and the other carachter, and I also was thinking if I could use less wattage to create the same effect (I'd like to consume as little energy as possible), so I tried the Hedler 300 as backlight and the not-professional 400 as key. If I understand the inverse square rule well, if I use less wattage but go closer to the subject, I can get the same effect... am I right? Say, I have 1000w at 2 meters from the subject, if I use a 250w, which is 1 quarter of the 1000w, at 1 meter from the subject (half of the distance) I get the same effect, right?

**CONCLUSIONS**

What do you suggest me? How many lights and which wattages/distances-heights I have to use? Do I need a background with barn door s for the main subject, a key for him, and what else... for the table and the other carachter? As I don't know how to move lights from one shot to another without effecting the overall light in the shots and creating a mess/discontinued light, could I make a 4 lights setup and leave it as it is, without moving anything? Is it ok, for instance, to put my lights behind and up the black background fabric I'll have to hing to the ceiling? This way the light stands would never be visible in any shot... What about the camera/lenses f stop?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Chris

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio