#1 Rob van Houten

Rob van Houten

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hello everybody I'm new here and sorry, my English is not to good. Here is my question: what film(s) can I use in my Bauer a512 using automatic exposure. I read a lot about the ASA problem of this camera and how to solve/correct this by manual exposure, but since I am an a-technician I'm searching for the easy (automatic) solution.
By way I have two Bauer a512 cameras, I bought them together for €300,- a few month's ago and hopefully not to put them in the corner!

Thanks in advance fellows, Rob

#2 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

The bauers you have are 40/160 asa only cameras. Unlike many other 40/160 asa only cameras, these cameras can't read daylight stocks of 25 and 100 asa. You can switch off the internal 85 filter (which is used when shooting tungsten film in daylight situations) but this doesn't allow you to shoot 100 asa daylight film as 100 asa - it will still be rated as 160 asa in a bauer. What you can do is the following:
Set the camera to auto and have the filter switch set to daylight (which means, 'with filter')
Read the exposure indicated by the meter.
Now switch the meter to manual mode and roll the exposure to the reading indicated in the previous step.
Switch out the internal filter - ie swich to the 'tungsten' (bulb) position.
Now film.

This isn't as hard as it sounds.
cheers,
richard

#3 Rob van Houten

Rob van Houten

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Thank you Richard,

But.... Will this solution not create blue footage? Or is this only when I used tungsten film? And not when I use daylight balanced film like the Kodak 100d ektachrome.

When I understand you well I have to film with for example Kodak 100d and use your advise of mettering with the automat while the filter is in position sunsymbol and then filming manual with the automatic diafragma founded before and the filter in position bulbsymbol.

Do you have advice in case I want to use negative film, what about the Kodak vision3 200T? Does this film work correct using the automatic feature?

Well again thank you,
Rob from The Netherlands

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Opal

Paralinx LLC

CineLab