#1 Joseph Konrad

Joseph Konrad
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to track down old issues of American Cinematographer. I am especially interested in all of the 70s issues. After those I am looking for 60s and 80s.

Unfortunately it seems these are incredibly hard to get. I looked at the ASC site under back issues, and they want minimum $75 for ONE magazine. Many are $100, and some are more.

Does anyone know of any kind of digital archive or CD-ROM I could buy somewhere that has scans of these magazines? Something like the National Geographic CD-ROMs?

I think the information in these old magazines is invaluable. Since I was born in 1990, obviously I wasn't around to buy these the first time around.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

They aren't stored yet in a digital form. I've bought most of the 1970's issues over the years for about $5 each, mostly at a used bookstore in Burbank that doesn't exist anymore. I've seen people try to sell whole collections on the internet.

If you are in Los Angeles, you can read them at various libraries -- SRLF at UCLA, Herrick Library (AMPAS), USC and AFI has them, etc.

#3 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

I just renewed my AC subscription for three more years.

#4 Sue Alan

Sue Alan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Probably a little late but if you are still looking I've listed what I have available for sale in the Cine Marketplace.

#5 Luo Jin

Luo Jin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to track down old issues of American Cinematographer. I am especially interested in all of the 70s issues. After those I am looking for 60s and 80s.

Unfortunately it seems these are incredibly hard to get. I looked at the ASC site under back issues, and they want minimum $75 for ONE magazine. Many are $100, and some are more.

Does anyone know of any kind of digital archive or CD-ROM I could buy somewhere that has scans of these magazines? Something like the National Geographic CD-ROMs?

I think the information in these old magazines is invaluable. Since I was born in 1990, obviously I wasn't around to buy these the first time around.

Thanks,
Joe

Maybe late. You can go to Questia.com

http://www.questia.c...nematographer/2

They have digitized all issues of American Cinematographer going back to 1973.

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

CineTape

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Technodolly

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport