#1 Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

I am going on a hitch-hiking journey in a couple weeks and I will be documenting the adventure. I initially considered taking my Panasonic HMC150, then considered a 7D package and now I am weighing options for something smaller and easier to operate in extreme run-n-gun conditions on the road.

I found this Panasonic camcorder that shoots 24p for $800...
http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

It also has some other attractive features like interval recording, 60p, assignable manual control ring, etc.

I would have to carry peripheral gear such as a way to record audio (either through an adapter or double system) and a letus adapter and some EF lenses. But I could also just grab this little camera at any point and shoot on the fly.

My question is...is anybody aware of other new 24p consumer camcorders for under $1k?

Thanks!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

Why not just leave the Letus at home bring the HMC150 with you and grab a T2i for "vista shots." use the HMC for longer takes, where shallow DoF is less important (the meat and potatoes of it) and the T2i or whatever, for the "vista," and "artsy" moments.

#3 Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

Why not just leave the Letus at home bring the HMC150 with you and grab a T2i for "vista shots." use the HMC for longer takes, where shallow DoF is less important (the meat and potatoes of it) and the T2i or whatever, for the "vista," and "artsy" moments.

It's a good idea and I have considered that. My main concern with the HMC150 is its size. I would love something smaller. I know that when I start talking about Letus adapters and EF lenses, I am somewhat negating the size advantage of a smaller camcorder like the one I linked above, but the Letus and lenses can be stashed away and don't always have to be used- I could get plenty of footage with just the camcorder and take advantage of its small size.

#4 Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

I am now considering the Panasonic LX-5 as it seems to have decent manual control in video mode, but only shoots 30p...
http://www.amazon.co...92603991&sr=8-1

The Canon S95 shoots 24p but you are locked-in to whatever settings you are on when you hit record- no zoom, focus, etc, not even auto...
http://www.amazon.co...92604014&sr=1-1

Anybody have any input?

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc