Kamil Beer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Hello,

first, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Kamil Beer, I'm from Czech republic and this is the first time I'm here :) Me and my team are already filming a movie, it has been about a year since we started. It is a very unique movie and I wouldn't really like to spoil it here.
We had some major "adventures" since we began - at first, it was just a crazy idea, which suddenly came into reality... we had our first meetings and after several people fell off, what stayed was a great team of dedicated filmmakers.
We currently have a team of a Director (me), two PAs, Photographer, Sound master, two cameramen, a Script and a webmaster.

We started shooting in November, and a painful issue had already risen: How to schedule the shooting properly.

My initial approach was to get every member to tell me a time when they would be able to shoot (and tell them several days in advance) and shoot with them once a week, but after FOUR(!!) bailouts (for less or more important reasons) by an important actor or crew member and a month without shooting, I believe the time has come to take a different approach. My initial idea was to film more frequently, like two or three times, so if one is cancelled, we'd still have time to shoot.

What would be the best approach in this situation? Thanks a lot, I really hate cancelling the meetings.
-K

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

Part of this should be that making the film is their number one priority apart from illness or a death. If you don't have this the film won't happen. Perhaps it would be better to agree that you're filming every (say) Saturday, leave the being flexible part out, because you won't get full agreement anyway. Schedule what you're going to film each shooting day and send this to everyone, so that there's a plan of action.

An alternative to one day a week (I assume over the weekend) would be to film in one week blocks.

#3 Nathan Blair

Nathan Blair
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

I agree with Brian in that you need a crew and cast that's committed. You are approaching this very modestly, and while it's considerate of you, remember that you are in charge. If they don't feel any authority, they may not feel confident that anything will get done. Stretching the film out over such a vast timeframe will, no doubt, be difficult for anyone to commit to. It's also easier for people to know they can complete a project in a couple weeks, rather than several months.

A director recently approached me with a solid approach to scheduling a low-budget feature. He allowed me the flexibility of what month is best, but stood by his decision that it would be shot in one, 3-week block. This way everyone has marked that month as booked, and the decision is made.

Simple is better.

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery