#1 Oliver Mann

Oliver Mann

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

I am looking for a display that is the best for color accuracy around the $500 price range. If you guys cant think of any names offhand, what would you normally look for (tech specs) in a monitor to determine its quality in regards to color correction?

Thanks,
Oliver

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

It'll be very tough at that price point. Decent monitoring is a tough one these days at any price, now that CRT's are gone. Most places use plasmas with a CineTal Davio box for calibration. Some kind of probe measuring calibration device is essential. Look for some kind of PhotoShop forum, they'll be more likely to know that price range.

-- J.S.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

You could also get a projector, but the price is tough. You can get refurbished CRT projectors, if you're willing to spend a bit of time setting them up. Absolute contrast is very good but for consistent white level you need to use them on a much smaller screen than they're really rated for.

P

#4 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

I don't think you're going to find anything special at the $500 price point.

I've heard good things about the NEC MultiSync PA271W recently. http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B003LD1QRY

NEC Review http://www.postmagaz...ync-PA271W.aspx

People also like the HP DreamColor http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B001B0QMGE

You'll want a 30-bit monitor (10-bits per color channel) and HD REC709 color space support.

#5 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

I would look for a 24"-32" Sony or Toshiba 16:9 HD consumer CRT set they weigh in about as heavy as a Fiat but the later models had hdmi in and I know one person who posts on this forum (Chris Burke) who uses one for his edit/grading setup. I would think these would fit in the $500 price range as everyone wants a "flat" screen now and they are incredibly heavy.

A CRT projector as Phil said might also be a good choice.

The HP Dreamcolor is also a good choice and I have seen one nicely setup with a gefen box but that was closer to $3K but I did not see much difference between that pic quality and much higher end LCD's like the Cinetal.

-Rob-

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm not so sure about the 10-bit requirement. Some high end grading systems do not display a 10-bit image. As long as the 8-bit display is re-derived from higher precision data every time you move a control, which is what they mainly do, it's fine.

P

#7 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

You're right, Phil.

If the source data is <10-bit, the extra bits on the display won't matter.

One of the benefits of a 10-bit display like the DreamColor, even when used with <10-bit source data, is that it will up-sample to the display utilizing the 10-bit, 1-billion color palette for more accurate gamut control and tone response and the virtual elimination of visual artifacts such as banding or contouring.

More info at http://h20202.www2.h...FAQ_June08a.pdf

#8 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

I would look for a 24"-32" Sony or Toshiba 16:9 HD consumer CRT set they weigh in about as heavy as a Fiat but the later models had hdmi in and I know one person who posts on this forum (Chris Burke) who uses one for his edit/grading setup. I would think these would fit in the $500 price range as everyone wants a "flat" screen now and they are incredibly heavy.

A CRT projector as Phil said might also be a good choice.

The HP Dreamcolor is also a good choice and I have seen one nicely setup with a gefen box but that was closer to $3K but I did not see much difference between that pic quality and much higher end LCD's like the Cinetal.

-Rob-

yes, I use a Sony 34 inch WEGA flat tube 16:9. It has HDMI input and great black levels. It did get it for around 500. It is fine for personal/artistic projects. for low end paying clients at most. But for higher end stuff, forget it. You could probably get one or a like model for around 300 these days. They do weigh in at just under 200 lbs.

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Metropolis Post

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Ritter Battery