#1 Jonathan Burton

Jonathan Burton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:58 AM

I just bought a 50mm ZF lens for my canon 550D (using a nikon to EOS adapter so as to get the apature ring)and I have put a UV filter over it to protect it. However there are some strong reflections caused by it when I point it at a light source, it seems that the image might be refracting around between the front of the lens and the filter.

Is this just a UV filter thing, or will I have a problem with ND's and other mattebox filters?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

#2 Nathan Blair

Nathan Blair
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

Unless I'm misinterpreting you, I believe what you're experiencing is multiple reflections of your light source on each pane of glass in front of your lens. I have had issues before with filters causing multiple reflections, instead of a single lens flare. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any way around this except taking filters off when you intend to flare the lens, and shading the lens of all light sources when not intending to flare the lens. Any filter or glass in front of your lens will cause issues, unfortunately.

One work-around could be using filters that can be placed behind the lens. Some lenses allow for this. Also I believe this issue is less apparent when you're using a more telephoto focal length.

Also, be warned that if you are using the image stabilizer function on any of your lenses, these flares will bounce around like crazy, and it looks terrible! The stabilizer locks down your image well, but the flares shake with any slight hand movement or vibration.

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Wooden Camera