1 reply to this topic

#1 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

We shot on the 5D because we knew this would finish on the web and I wanted to get the camera as low to the ground as possible. The whole idea of the video was to watch them as if this were an actual show, so I wanted the camera to have an audience POV as if the band was on a stage and we're looking up. David Mullen once mentioned a guy sticking the 5D to the bottom of a doorway dolly for an ultra low angle and I thought that was a pretty good idea.

I knew it was going to be motion control, but I had trouble figuring out how I was going to sync the song. After a test, I wound up cutting the song into six and a half second parts. That was how long each measure of them singing lasted. I put sync pops at the heads and tails of the six and a half seconds, then twenty seconds of heads for the band and three sync pops to cue the camera which was programmed for six seconds and 16 frames (@30fps) from point a to b with three seconds of heads. That way the heads and tails of the usable shot were in the middle of shelves and the singing was in between the rows.

We had three rows so I labeled it like this; “row1 part1, row1 part4, row1 part7… up to thirty. Then row2 part2, row2 part5 and so on…

Here's what it looked like...

The motion control was so precise all we had to do was cut at the heads and tails of those sync pops and drag it into the timeline. Everything was within a couple frames.

The lighting was practicals, daylight, some flare light behind the drum set and a spot on the front two guys… pretty simple. It was actually dark outside by the time we shot the row with the pillars and you can tell, but I liked the idea of the light changing from row to row.

#2 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Some more behind the scenes...

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery