Fred Magilicutti

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi everybody.

I hope everyone is having a great Xmas, and a terrific New Year to come.

I was just curious to know what you all thought of this new, upcoming, Sony PMW-F3L Super 35mm Full HD Compact Camcorder, and how it stacks up against the RED-One.

This new camcorder sure looks good, with great specs, a good price, and completely professional. It just may give RED a run for the money.

Check it out here:
http://www.bhphotovi....m_Full_HD.html

Any opinions, and especially any spec comparisons, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

It's lot cheaper than a RED One, its main competition will be the Epic L (or whichever name it will go under), the old S35 Scarlet.

It really depends if you want to have a RAW workflow or having a smaller, less power hungry camera than the RED one.

#3 Ravi Kiran

Ravi Kiran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

I don't know if I'd say this competes with any of the Red cameras. At best, its a step up from using a 35mm lens adapter on an EX-3, but ultimately its still recording MPEG-2 35Mb/s 4:2:0 (when you record on-board to SxS cards).

It all depends on your wants and needs. If all you want is shallow depth-of-field out of an easy-to-use ENG camera and don't need the flexibility of RAW or the overall expense of the Red, then this is probably the camera for you. But get the Red if you want something higher quality. Red footage properly shot and downsampled to 1080p looks very nice.

Edited by Ravi Kiran, 24 December 2010 - 12:51 PM.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

I don't know if I'd say this competes with any of the Red cameras. At best, its a step up from using a 35mm lens adapter on an EX-3, but ultimately its still recording MPEG-2 35Mb/s 4:2:0 (when you record on-board to SxS cards).

Hi,

When Mcgreggor did a back to back between an EX3 & Red the images looked surprisingly similar. People mix images between 5DMKII, EX3, RED & Film every day and get away with it.

#5 Ravi Kiran

Ravi Kiran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

When Mcgreggor did a back to back between an EX3 & Red the images looked surprisingly similar. People mix images between 5DMKII, EX3, RED & Film every day and get away with it.

I agree, Red and EX3 can be graded to intercut very well.

I will say that the Sony F3L, along with Panasonic's AG-AF100, seem to be good options for people who want something better than a camera with a 35mm lens adapter (which I personally dislike) for shallow DOF but not as expensive or complicated as the Red.

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Yup, this and the Panasonic give us a price/performance point well under the Red, while Arri Alexa and the Sony 9000PL give us a point above. What's happening is the big single chip space is filling out....

-- J.S.

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

CineTape

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC