#1 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

I'm not a big fan of westerns although I love the sergio leone stuff and El Topo.
However I recently accidently downloaded "She wore a yellow ribbon" from the BBC iplayer (typed in the wrong number!). I note a lot of people here saying it is a great film, so for those in the UK, note it is still up there on the iplayer if you want to see it!

Also if anyone is a fan, perhaps you could tell me what you think is fantastic about this film which might convince me to watch it. I've alrady used up the bandwidth downloading the thing, so you only need to convince me it's worth the time! ;)

love

Freya

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

It's got the shot of the troops riding into a storm in Monument Valley with some lightning, the one that the DP Winton Hoch put on the slate "shot under protest" because the weather was so bad and the light levels were poor for 3-strip Technicolor, but Ford made him shoot anyway... and then Winton Hoch won the Oscar for Best Color Cinematography for the movie. Which Ford never let him forget.

It's a fun movie, just watch it.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

It's got the shot of the troops riding into a storm in Monument Valley with some lightning, the one that the DP Winton Hoch put on the slate "shot under protest" because the weather was so bad and the light levels were poor for 3-strip Technicolor, but Ford made him shoot anyway... and then Winton Hoch won the Oscar for Best Color Cinematography for the movie. Which Ford never let him forget.

It's a fun movie, just watch it.

Heh heh! Thats a funny story! Would be even funnier if he took his name off the picture altogether and he won the oscar under some bizzare pseudenym! :)

I probably am going to watch it anyway at this point after all I already downloaded it but it will make it more fun to watch out for the stuff people mention! ;)

love

Freya

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineTape

FJS International, LLC