#1 Bill Chepel

Bill Chepel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Producer

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

Hey, I'm new to this and trying to figure out the right camera/lenses for shooting music videos. I love this look:

My link

My link

its definitely digital, but has a shallow DOF and just a great look. Short of something like a RED, is there a more
affordable camera that can do this? What do you think was used here?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

If you're good with lighting and can control it, and some color corrections, you could do that with a DSLR and the right glass. Something like the 5 or 7D might be worthwhile to you to look into if you don't wanna go the price for red. But you really gotta work towards the camera's advantages and avoid the things it doesn't like.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Looks like 5D video, wide-angle and yet shallow-focus thanks to a FF35 sensor. Lots of vignetting added in post.

#4 Mathew Rudenberg

Mathew Rudenberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

Looks like 5D video, wide-angle and yet shallow-focus thanks to a FF35 sensor. Lots of vignetting added in post.

Seconded, looks like 5D with a lot of contrast, lots of blown outness and crushed shadows.

Interestingly it looks like they're using a ring light, which of course helps you get the camera close without causing shadows on the talent's face. You can see its reflections pretty clearly at 2:14 in the first vid, looks like it's not a pro ring like the kamio, but possibly a store bought round flourescent...

Looks like it was rigged next to the camera in the first video, but by the second they had worked out how to get it to fit around the lens.

Also, some pretty bad twixtoring/frame interpolation artifacts in the slo-mo in the second vid at 3:05 - is that better then a straight slow down? I guess most viewers wouldn't notice...

#5 Bill Chepel

Bill Chepel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Producer

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the great responses. Question: the increased contrast is what creates "blown outness and crushed shadows" and I'm guessing you do that by overexposing, but is it better to shoot the scene that way, or shoot it correctly exposed and manipulate it later - let's say in fcp?

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the great responses. Question: the increased contrast is what creates "blown outness and crushed shadows" and I'm guessing you do that by overexposing, but is it better to shoot the scene that way, or shoot it correctly exposed and manipulate it later - let's say in fcp?

Better to do it in post, once you've clipped something in the original, you can't adjust it, it's gone.

#7 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Interestingly it looks like they're using a ring light, which of course helps you get the camera close without causing shadows on the talent's face. You can see its reflections pretty clearly at 2:14 in the first vid, looks like it's not a pro ring like the kamio, but possibly a store bought round flourescent...

Looks like it was rigged next to the camera in the first video, but by the second they had worked out how to get it to fit around the lens.

In this video, which believe it or not I actually like, you can see the ring light reflection clear as day in the talent's sunglasses. It's so ubiquitous, I think most viewers will think it's some kind of "cool effect."

http://www.vevo.com/...g6/USUV71001090

Why do I like this video, BTW, esp. since it has a lot of what I usually disagreeable? Jump cuts (well they're in most videos now), fake interlaced lines, no discernible dance choreography, lead singers acting gangster, composited images coming to life, slow motion. Yet it somehow all works, partly b/c it doesn't take itself too seriously.

But, anyway, I thought the ring light reflection was just so egregious that it was funny and actually worked.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks