• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

I recently shot a short film/trailer, running time is 5 minutes. I acquired on Super35 and the transfer was to uncompressed 1080 files. The final online is pretty effects-heavy, so I think 1080 is pretty much the end of the road for this project (I had wanted to rescan at higher res, but that's not in the cards anymore).

I'd like to have some screenings at local cinemas. I got a quote for a 35mm print. I'm wondering if I can get a digital cinema print for a whole lot less.

Can anyone refer me to someone who can create my digital print? Is it something I could do myself? When I've proposed the idea of me (and not a major studio) providing a digital print for exhibition, I've gotten a lot of push-back from cinema managers. It seems as though they've never gotten a hard drive from anyone but a studio. They keep trying to push me to exhibit on Blu-Ray. The problem with that is that their Blu-Ray players display on consumer projectors and not digital cinema projectors.

Any thoughts?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

I came across this before, but we wound up going Blu-Ray. It's not really something you can do yourself and the programs for it are quite expensive. And major cinema post house, though, should be able to provide you a D-Cinema. I'd speak with Technicolor and Deluxe, see what you can get.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

For a one off print, the Cinevator mentioned in another thread is worth checking out.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

I've had HD playback gear patched temporarily in for this sort of scenario; it depends what your circumstances are. Most projectors have DVI inputs. Is this a one-off? If so, look into doing that (I have some gear to do it in LA at the moment).

P

#5 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

http://contact-di.com I have worked with them before and he can make you a low-budget DCP.

Getting a chain to show your film is almost impossible though and this is usually who has projectors in place worthy of making a DCP for.

#6 Sterling Silva

Sterling Silva
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director
  • Studio City

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

It's not hard at all. I know a guy. I sent you a PM.

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Opal

Technodolly

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies