2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

I have the Canon T2i and am editing on Premier Pro CS4. I understsand that its better to edit by transcoding from h.264 to .AVI and Im doing so via VFW Codecs. This is just for editing in the timeline correct? Whats the best choice for the final render? And how does one go about the process?

#2 John Young

John Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Other
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

I don't know anything about the T2i, but what is the format the camera records in?

Is there any way you can get the camera to output in RAW instead of h.264?

h.264 is a delivery format, and not the best quality for editing. It IS a good format for final render, as you say, but it really depends on what you want to do.
You can output to anything from NTSC 640x480 all the way up to 2k and beyond, in just about any container format you want. The answer is, it depends.

You really want the best acquisition format you can get, AND you want it uncompressed. Transcoding is nothing more than changing the container format, and in some cases, uncompressing and then REcompressing the data.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

I don't know anything about the T2i, but what is the format the camera records in?

h.264 in Quicktime, same as any other Canon DSLR. SD cards rather than compactflash.

Is there any way you can get the camera to output in RAW instead of h.264?

No, otherwise it'd be an Alexa and it'd cost fifty thousand dollars and you'd need a special recorder with a stupid star-wars themed name to record it all.

To answer the original question simply: the best format is uncompressed, but it depends what you have by way of hardware. DNxHD is a broad equivalent of ProRes which works with Premiere.

P

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Opal

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Technodolly