#1 Hampus Bystrom

Hampus Bystrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Student
  • Stocktown

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hey, long time, no post... Making. I hope this hasn't been discussed extensively before.
Anyway, basically I can't afford a steadi-operator for my next film, nor can I afford to transport huge amounts of rails where we're going. So therefore I've decided to shoot handheld, mostly after having seen Ridley Scott's Alien where Scott himself does some great, subtle handheld work. Obviously, in an ideal world, artistic vision should never suffer to economic constraints. Unfortunately I live in the real world of independent, no-budget, cinema. My worry is that handheld suggest subjective camera, documentary or drags attention to the operator. All of which I don't want, the film's look should very much echo seeking control in nature, which is ultimately uncontrollable. I suppose you could argue that steadicam and dollies are all attempts to control nature, but I don't want to get too philosophical here. The floating camera for me makes the camera almost godlike and inhuman, which is what I want. Now, what I want to ask is; do you guys know of any, great, handheld work that moves with the actors without dragging to much attention to itself and doesn't feel documentary in style? Is this an impossible request and I should just man-up and pay a steadicam operator four times the wages of my "normal" crew?

Share your thoughts please!

#2 Stu Kawowski

Stu Kawowski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

...Now, what I want to ask is; do you guys know of any, great, handheld work that moves with the actors without dragging to much attention to itself and doesn't feel documentary in style? Is this an impossible request and I should just man-up and pay a steadicam operator four times the wages of my "normal" crew?

Share your thoughts please!

Check out the 35mm handheld operating of Dante Spinotti in "The Insider" — the camera is practically sitting on Russel Crowe's shoulder while he frantically moves around in a near dark house. Amazing stuff.

#3 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

Make sure you get your camera well balanced and heavy (not comfy, but eliminates some shake). Than use a plug in like Mercalli http://www.prodad.co...1667,l-us.xhtml and stabilize your footy.

You can control the way the shake is eliminated and camera dynamics very precise, to get your "god camera".

Frank

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies