1 reply to this topic

#1 Evan Ferrario

Evan Ferrario
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

I have a Angenieux 12-120mm in cameflex mount and a Angenieux 15-150 in c mount.

The 15-150 is a flawless lens which covers Super 16 without vignette and the focus is the smoothest I've ever felt. I love everything about this lens but the mount. When I screw the c mount in, it feels like it is tight, but then I can tighten it a little more and I cringe thinking that the extra turn is messing with the focal distance, or just a sign that the c mount is going.

The 12-120mm came with my Eclair and could not be in worse shape, there are deep scratches, the zoom zooms itself, and the focus is jumpy at best. In short, I could care less about this lens and it's a back up at best.

I really would like to invest in getting the 15-150 into a nicer mount. I have adapters for cameflex, Arri B, Arri Standard and PL mount on my camera. First of all, is it possible to switch the mount off the 12-120 with the c mount on the 15-150mm? Besides the mounts, the lenses look nearly identical. How does the cameflex mount attach to the actual lens? I can not find any screws on the mount. I was hoping I could take the 2 lenses to a camera tech and have them switched but I do not know if they are compatible.

If the two mounts are not compatible, does anyone know a place to find Angenieux mounts in standard, b, pl or cameflex for a resonable price? Visual Products sells a Angenieux to universal and universal to pl mount adapter, but this would be over $1000 to get the lens in PL mount. Ebay has a plethora of 12-120 in Arri and Camelfex mounts that sell reasonable so I could track one down that way.

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Unfortunately, it is more complicated than a simple parts swap.

The Angenieux 15-150 has a longer back-focus distance than the 12-120mm, so the adapter mount has to be correspondingly longer.
To my knowledge, there are no off-the-shelf mounts for the 15-150mm other than C-mount. It would have to be custom machined.

As to your question: How does the cameflex mount attach to the actual lens?
Inside the cameflex mount there is a retaining ring with two notchs that must be unscrewed with a spanner wrench.

As to your other comment: "it feels like it is tight, but then I can tighten it a little more"
this is common with these lenses as the C-mount thread does rotate to allow proper positioning of the index marks when attached to the camera.
It is supposed to be stiff enough to withstand loosening but wear allows it to slip. There is a solution but involves a slight modification:
Setcrews can be added to lock the C thread in position.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Opal

CineTape

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc