Ben Brahem Ziryab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hello,
I recently shot a music video on a Steadicam and I was wondering about something. My concern is that I had to take the sled off in between shots (about 5-10 min at a time). The rig was, of course, very heavy with the RED+Lenses+Monitor+2xBatteries+Hard Drive. Arms max. load is 38 lbs.

So my question is whether this is normal or not? If no, do you think there is something wrong with the rig or is it just because I'm not physical capable of operating it?

Physically I think I'm quite solid, even in comparison to professional Steadicam operators...I'm 5'9" tall, weight 181 lbs and have been pumping iron for nearly 2 years at several times a week. Although I'm weak on cardio.

Thanks,
Ben

Edited by Ziryab Ben Brahem, 26 January 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

I think any human being's ability to be precise with that sort of weight will naturally decrease with time. Most steadicam operators will tell you they can operate for hours on end without impairment. I question this.

Ten minutes sounds reasonable.

P

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Technique can improve how long you can operate a Steadicam for. How far out you operate the sled has a big impact and holding the sled close between takes improves things. The times you mention are fine, short operating sessions with quick rests are pretty normal unless you're covering a sporting or other event.

I suspect long distance hill walking could be the best exercise for Steadicam, rather than pumping iron alone.

#4 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hello,
I recently shot a music video on a Steadicam and I was wondering about something. My concern is that I had to take the sled off in between shots (about 5-10 min at a time). The rig was, of course, very heavy with the RED+Lenses+Monitor+2xBatteries+Hard Drive. Arms max. load is 38 lbs.

So my question is whether this is normal or not? If no, do you think there is something wrong with the rig or is it just because I'm not physical capable of operating it?

Physically I think I'm quite solid, even in comparison to professional Steadicam operators...I'm 5'9" tall, weight 181 lbs and have been pumping iron for nearly 2 years at several times a week. Although I'm weak on cardio.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben, I think 5 minutes with the RED camera, fully loaded, is quite enough. I think the longest I've ever gone at that weight was about 14 minutes. But even with a 5 minute take, you'll want to rest to clear some of that lactic acid from your muscles.

-bruce (5'8", 155lbs)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets