Clive Alex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Director
  • Cumbria, England

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hi,
I have a Arriflex 2A and when looking through the viewfinder there are vertical lines and when looking in the lens mount theres an optical box type thing which produces the lines. I was just wondering what was the purpose of this?

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

Without them, stray light reflected off the groundglass would reach the film with all sorts of undesirable effects.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

#3 Thibaut de Chemellier

Thibaut de Chemellier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

...Same thing on the Arriflex 35-3 but with only 2 antireflections "lines". My advice would be: don't ever try to remove them , try to forget it when you're framing.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hi,
I have a Arriflex 2A and when looking through the viewfinder there are vertical lines and when looking in the lens mount theres an optical box type thing which produces the lines. I was just wondering what was the purpose of this?

It's incredible how quickly these disappear once you've used the camera for a little bit. When I first got a IIC I was like, "How the heck is this gonna work!" One 400ft roll of film later, I wasn't even noticing them anymore. You look through them.

Best,
-Tim

#5 Clive Alex

Clive Alex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Director
  • Cumbria, England

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Thanks to everyone,
I don't mind them, just curious as to why they're there. My Arri 16bl hasn't got them, but I find the bl's eye shutter a pain. So can I leave the 2a's viewfinder uncovered without having to worry about stray light effecting the film, even in strong sunlight?

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

A lot of the II's, A, B, and C, had them removed. In the days when they were in the rental inventory, it was more common to find them without the baffles. I never had a problem shooting without them, but since you have them, I'd leave them in -- mainly to protect the future value of the camera as an antique.

-- J.S.

#7 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

So can I leave the 2a's viewfinder uncovered without having to worry about stray light effecting the film, even in strong sunlight?

You should still cover the viewfinder. The baffles are there to prevent light from the taking lens reflecting off the ground glass.

#8 Clive Alex

Clive Alex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Director
  • Cumbria, England

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:02 AM

I have one more question, just to be sure about my framing. I suspect it's the same as my 16bl but I'm going to ask anyway. When I compose a shot am I using the framing lines with the round edges in the centre of the ground glass or the whole viewing frame of the ground glass?

#9 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

There are lots of different ground glass markings, so we can't be sure which you have. Arri has an overview area in the finder, so you can place equipment just out of frame. The best thing to do is shoot a test using a big white card, and with the head locked off, direct someone to draw on the card exactly the lines you see in the finder. This'll show you if there are any problems with the ground glass. If you're going to telecine, shooting this kind of card will let them set up to get exactly the compositions you intended.

-- J.S.

#10 Allen Achterberg

Allen Achterberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Maria CA

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:29 AM

There are lots of different ground glass markings, so we can't be sure which you have. Arri has an overview area in the finder, so you can place equipment just out of frame. The best thing to do is shoot a test using a big white card, and with the head locked off, direct someone to draw on the card exactly the lines you see in the finder. This'll show you if there are any problems with the ground glass. If you're going to telecine, shooting this kind of card will let them set up to get exactly the compositions you intended.

-- J.S.

Tape the white card to wall. Turn off lights. and Shine a flashlight through the viewfinder. Move camera appropriately close enough to get a non distorted visual from whichever lens you use. 50mm-80mm might be best. you will see the groundglass lines projected through the lens, and can sharpie them in. then you can match the framelines to the markings and shoot some footage to compare groundglass framing alignment.

#11 Dieter Meyer

Dieter Meyer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Hello,

I saw that you are an Arriflex IIA owner. I am looking for a copy of the Instruction Manual for this type. Could you help me?

Thank you and regards

Dieter

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Tai Audio

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc