New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

Hello all,

A scene I'll be shooting soon calls for two drops of red wine to slide down the surface of a mirror and meet each other at a certain point. In the background of the mirror, we see two people out of focus. I am trying to get this shot completely in camera if I can. It's a tall order but I'd love to pull it off.

So far I've been thinking of something I could smear onto the glass, like silicon gel, that would guide the drops toward each other at a predetermined point in the frame. I'm having trouble thinking of something to smear on the glass that would guide the drops effectively without being seen.

I've pretty much ruled out any sort of solution using tricky rotating to guide the drops with gravity because the drops need to meet (coming from different directions) and we need to see the presence of the characters in the background of the reflection.

I'm open to hear any idea no matter how ridiculous or loosely related!

#2 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:03 AM

I would try applying a windshield treatment, something like Rain-X, carefully to the paths you want the drops to take. Just an idea at 5am, so take it for what it's worth. ;)

#3 Jad Beyrouthy

Jad Beyrouthy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Beirut, Lebanon

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

If water on the glass does not pose ant problem, then try running down two drops of water before shooting, on the path you want the wine to take and then drop the wine.

Not sure if it works but its an easy fast solution if it does.
Good luck

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hello all,

A scene I'll be shooting soon calls for two drops of red wine to slide down the surface of a mirror and meet each other at a certain point. In the background of the mirror, we see two people out of focus. I am trying to get this shot completely in camera if I can. It's a tall order but I'd love to pull it off.

So far I've been thinking of something I could smear onto the glass, like silicon gel, that would guide the drops toward each other at a predetermined point in the frame. I'm having trouble thinking of something to smear on the glass that would guide the drops effectively without being seen.

I've pretty much ruled out any sort of solution using tricky rotating to guide the drops with gravity because the drops need to meet (coming from different directions) and we need to see the presence of the characters in the background of the reflection.

I'm open to hear any idea no matter how ridiculous or loosely related!

I would try Ferrofluid. Magnets BEHIND the mirror could potentially control the direction of the drops. Not sure if this can be done vertically or not so you'll have to do some testing.

Good luck and please post the results AND behind-the-scenes footage so we can all enjoy the process. :)

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc