#1 Jef Rexberstanner

Jef Rexberstanner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

Does anyone know how to make this happen (its a link to Bit Gravity doing a live interactive stream where the user can select/switch camera angles):

http://www.bitgravity.com/interactive/

Would I have to license this from them or another vendor, or is there open source code...??

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

That's not live, of course, it's just 5 flash videos playing at once.. easy to do in flash if someone knows how to work it, for on-demand viewing (i don't do action script). For live i'd approach it a little differently, it's not that difficult, it's some flash streaming to a flash server. A program like Adobe Media Live Encoder (free) is getting fed from each camera, preferable each to their own computer with a way out to the internet, as different flash -live- streams, and then you're constructing a flash action script program (swf) which loads whichever stream is clicked to the large window. this works on rtmp protocol, and i'll admit generally when I'm working with streaming it's just going through my laptop and we're cutting cameras al'la live broadcast style (not user interactive). You'll need someone who knows flash to really program it, and you may be able to find some companies which "sell" access to their flash servers. I do something like this, just with one camera, on a Flash Server with a program called Ensemble on the server side to put it out to the net for events from time to time (colleges and some conventions).
Of course, if you know how to build a server, then you can can install flash server on it yourself it'll cost a few grand give or take, but you'll also need good bandwidth to support multiple people viewing it and good storage and all this gets expensive. There may be pay as you go places/plans, but I don't know of any of them.

#3 Jef Rexberstanner

Jef Rexberstanner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

Thanks for the info Adrian. Definitely sheds a little light on the situation but Im still confsed as to how these streams are loaded without really buffering at all or disturbing the audio feed. Thats the thing that makes this so great...its basically like youre running a video mixer on someone elses video.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

It's all in optimizing the compression and bandwidth settings. It's something you'd set up in the beginning and would need to test. I know for me, when i switch streams I get a second or two of buffer which kind suggests the smaller ones you click on are lower bandwidth separate files and then "load" a larger file, so in essence you only have 1 main video playing in high quality, and the others are lowered in quality.

#5 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

looks interesting

Edited by Ram Shani, 04 February 2011 - 03:58 PM.

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio