Photo

How to control the frame movement , while shooting a "tv screen" or "computer monitor"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deepak srinivasan

deepak srinivasan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Best Boy
  • India

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

i am shooting a short film now , there is a scene in it where we show a person running in the corridor and suddenly pan and show a t.v. screen (Surveillance camera footage). am going to shoot this scene next week. i know if you shoot a screen u can see the frame moving upwards. so before going for shoot i want to clearly know how to control it.
kindly answer to this question :)
THANKS IN ADVANCE
CHEERS!!!

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

It really depends on how stable your CCTV video input is. Assuming it's a CRT television and the video is stable, a crystal speed camera shooting at 25fps (since you're in a PAL country) and using a phase control unit to remove the bar. These may be built into the camera or they are available as an accessory.

As mentioned in answering your other post, you need to use your real name.

#3 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

i am shooting a short film now , there is a scene in it where we show a person running in the corridor and suddenly pan and show a t.v. screen (Surveillance camera footage). am going to shoot this scene next week. i know if you shoot a screen u can see the frame moving upwards. so before going for shoot i want to clearly know how to control it.
kindly answer to this question :)
THANKS IN ADVANCE
CHEERS!!!

If you're using a video camera to shoot your project, even if you do manage to get the frame syncs right, you still can't move the camera while shooting a CRT monitor, because you'll get all sorts of white line artifacts on the image of the screen.

By far the simplest solution is to use an LCD monitor to display your "surveillance" footage. That way you shouldn't have any sync problems of any sort. As far as the camera is concerned, an LCD image behaves like it's printed on paper.

What you could possibly do is mount a standard LCD computer monitor on the wall, and play your footage through Quicktime or something similar on a standard computer.

#4 deepak srinivasan

deepak srinivasan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Best Boy
  • India

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

If u shooting in a film camera (like 435) what ull do to get rid of the lines ??? ull use frame rates or shutter angle to compensate that
and , i wanna know why those lines even come ??? in naked eye those lines are not visible

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

You use a combination of frame rates and shutter angles and then use the phasing unit to remove the bar from view. As mentioned the LCD screen doesn't have the problem.

Your eyes don't use frames to record your view of the world. Film and TV frame rates are selected so that persistence of vision allows you to view without flickering, usually by repeating each frame a couple of times in the viewing system or at a high frame rate eg 60p.

The camera is recording regular intervals of time from a CRT which displays regular intervals of time, if they don't match up i.e. out of sync you see the bar between the frames. It's a bit like a strobe light being used to set the timing on an engine

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport