Roman Dukic

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Belgrade

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:23 AM

Which is the best HD Camcorder ( 1000$ ) for low light use? Please help me. It will be very important for me. I'm a student and I work hard for that (not that you need to pity me, it's just I don't know much about it, and I don't wanna make same foolish choice as I once did) Thanks a lot.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Which is the best HD Camcorder ( 1000$ ) for low light use? Please help me. It will be very important for me. I'm a student and I work hard for that (not that you need to pity me, it's just I don't know much about it, and I don't wanna make same foolish choice as I once did) Thanks a lot.

I don't know but I'd guess that a DSLR (like the Canon T2i or 7D) shooting HD would be better in low light due to the size of the sensor and photosites, but I actually haven't tested that against any 1/3" consumer camcorders.

#3 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

I don't know but I'd guess that a DSLR (like the Canon T2i or 7D) shooting HD would be better in low light due to the size of the sensor and photosites, but I actually haven't tested that against any 1/3" consumer camcorders.

I also think the 60D is a good option for its flip out screen, I'm sure the SLRs hold up better than most of the 1/3" cameras around but it'd be an interesting thing to really find out.

I suppose it matters more on the shooting context (how low-light) or how long it's really needed for, because if it's only a day or two worth of shooting low-light it'd be worth considering renting a 1D MKIV, they shoot some great low-light. It's ridiculous compared to all the other SLRs.

A wide aperture lens helps too and no small camcorders on the market provide that at the moment, but you can pick up a cheap 80 dollar 50mm from Canon at about f/1.8, which would help produce some good results. Just stay away from any cheap kit lenses.

#4 kapil vashistha

kapil vashistha

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:04 AM

Hello friends! I would like to suggest to you roman to use Canon HV20 or Canon HV30. Canon XHA1 is have the best quality image in low light but it will be outside the price range so forget about it.Canon HV20 Supports 10X HD quality video zoom and it have 1/2.7" CMOS Sensor for the quality image.

#5 Gabe Spangler

Gabe Spangler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

I owned an XH A1 for two years and now own a 7D. My 7D slays the XH A1 in low light, absolutely slays it. Even at 0dB gain on the XH A1, the image was noisy. The 7D is great up to 1250 iso and the noise is less obnoxious-looking. Definitely get a T2i or a 60D. Some 1/4" or 1/3" camcorders may be able to shoot in low light, but the image is terrible, in my opinion.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineTape

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport