New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Valencia, Spain

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hello,

I'm going to shot a short movie as a DP. We (the director and me) have choose to do it with Ultrascope and Red One to get a soft old anamorphic look. I would like to know your experimented or not opinions and experiencies with this combination. I want to know too, if it's possible, the circle of confussion that you wouldl apply... maybe 0'0075? The short will be projected in 35mm anamoprhic.

Thanks for all and sorry for my poor english.

#2 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi Carlos,

I can't tell you about the CoC, but I tested this combination of camera & lenses for a past project and liked it a lot (specially the wide-angle primes), but I wouldn't use Ultrascopes if you are going to work at the widest apertures or handheld. These lenses perform at their best at T/4.0 or T/5.6 as their performance wide-open isn't very good. It may fit your project, but bear in mind that below T/4.0 the lenses are VERY soft and show lots of geometric and chromatic aberrations. At the end I decided to use spherical primes for my project because I couldn't use such intensity of light and had lots of shots on which close focus was a concern. Don't forget to carry some diopters and have a search of the forum; Ultrascopes have been discussed before.

Good Luck!

#3 Carlos Cebrián

Carlos Cebrián

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Valencia, Spain

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Hi Carlos,

I can't tell you about the CoC, but I tested this combination of camera & lenses for a past project and liked it a lot (specially the wide-angle primes), but I wouldn't use Ultrascopes if you are going to work at the widest apertures or handheld. These lenses perform at their best at T/4.0 or T/5.6 as their performance wide-open isn't very good. It may fit your project, but bear in mind that below T/4.0 the lenses are VERY soft and show lots of geometric and chromatic aberrations. At the end I decided to use spherical primes for my project because I couldn't use such intensity of light and had lots of shots on which close focus was a concern. Don't forget to carry some diopters and have a search of the forum; Ultrascopes have been discussed before.

Good Luck!

Thank you Ignacio. I have read the older posts about Ultrascope. My project is all ext/day, so I think these lenses can fit very well. In adittion, these kind of aberrations are just what we are looking for, but the steadycam operator doesn't think the same... jejeje!!

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

The Slider

CineLab

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly