#2 Mark McCann

Mark McCann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thats good news, im waiting for 3d in general to hurry up and die a hard death. We dont need 3d tvs, we need 2k/4k tvs, the future of television shouldnt be based on the gimmick that it looks as if something from the tv is about to hit you. does anyone actually want a future where hard hitting dramas such as schindlers list pop out of the screen at you?No.

#3 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

<sarcasm> To be honest with you, I am surprised. </sarcasm>

Http://www.gearlog.com/2011/02/glasses-free_3d_a_huge_flop_in.php

There was a news item from Samsung (I think) where they were announcing their new passive glasses 3DTV technology, but now I'm damned if I can find it.
The idea is sound enough, that the LCD screen has alternating rows of horizontal and vertical polarized pixels, so for example a "native" 1920 x 1080 screen would show a 1920 x 540 3D image through passive polarizing glasses. Ideally they would need to produce a 1920 x 2160 display for full HD, but I think that would be manageable.
However every single one of the hundreds of "house-of-mirrors" websites repeating the story had their facts wrong. They all said the polarizing strips would simply be strips of standard polaroid-type film of alternating polarity. Which would work fine with Plasma screens but not LCD, because they’re already polarized one way. If you did that, all that would happen is that every second row would be blacked out.
What they actually use is a special type of plastic film that rotates the polarization of any light passing through it, rather than simply filtering out all light of the undesired polarity. In optical parlance, it produces a “Phase Retardation” of the light waves
I'm wondering if they might have withdrawn the story, when somebody outside Korea pointed that "Retarded Film" might not be the catchiest name for a high-end 3-D TV technology!
http://zeonex.com/pr...dation_Film.asp

#4 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Thats good news, im waiting for 3d in general to hurry up and die a hard death. We dont need 3d tvs, we need 2k/4k tvs, the future of television shouldnt be based on the gimmick that it looks as if something from the tv is about to hit you. does anyone actually want a future where hard hitting dramas such as schindlers list pop out of the screen at you?No.

Sadly 3-D is the simply the latest brain-fart of clueless executives desperately scratching around for some new evidence that they’re worth the probably outrageous amount of money they’re being paid.
In the case of 3D, one supposed “benefit” to the the movie industry is that it is virtually impossible to shoot a useful pirate copy of a 3D movie using a camcorder.
I just wonder if they’ve somehow sold the boards of directors that if they could convince all movie patrons that nothing less than 3-D will do, the dastardly problem of camcorder-based piracy will be banished forever!
In any case, while 3-D can be impressive in a cinema (at least I’ve found it to be on occasion), 3-D on a TV screen just looks silly. Glasses-free 3-D even more so, since you virtually need one of those old head-clamping gadgets that early 19th century daguerreotype photographers used to use!

#5 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

We already have 1.95K TVs. Isn't that pretty close? :P

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Opal

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc