#1 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:31 AM

I learning that imagery destined for Internet distribution (and hand-held mobile devices) require a different approach. Somehow those amazing desert vistas from Lawrence of Arabia don't quite look the same on my iPod nano.

I've found, in general, that unless the content is really compelling, imagery for the Internet has to rely on what we were all told NOT to do. That is; to make the audience aware of the technique. Jump cuts, close-ups, snap zooms, and shifting focus all seem to be the norm in internet video.

Producing imagery for Internet and mobile devices is challenging because we are competing for eyeballs against every distraction imaginable.

So I am wondering, what is your approach to shooting for the Internet? What works and what doesn't?

Many Thanks

#2 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

Well, if you're shooting specifically for internet, there are certainly some shortcuts in the workflow which I employ. For one, assuming you're going for fairly low-res content, as opposed to 720p on youtube or vimeo, you can rely upon older, cheaper equipment like a DVX and XL2. You don't have to be quite as concerned about the fine details of the production design, since they won't be as apparent, and some aspects of lighting can be streamlined. Like, I don't worry as much about having an eyelight, because it won't show up most likely on a very small screen. I might also light a bit more evenly, with less contrast because of the lack of range on smaller devices, so I don't get blow outs or have everything fall off into shadow.

And as you pointed out with the LoA reference, certain types of shots just won't work on the small screen. You can't expect the viewer to spot a tiny figure amid a big landscape or in a crowd perhaps, and so you might have to think more in terms of medium shots and closer.

Those are just a few thoughts that come off the top of my head. Hope they help!

BR

Ritter Battery

Opal

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post