4 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

There's an old film from the 70's directed by John Milius called "The Wind and the Lion". The cinematography is pretty basic, but I'm curious how I would go about finding what lenses were used on that shoot.

Would back issues of American Cinematographer have anything?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

There's an old film from the 70's directed by John Milius called "The Wind and the Lion". The cinematography is pretty basic, but I'm curious how I would go about finding what lenses were used on that shoot.

Would back issues of American Cinematographer have anything?

I don't recall any AC article on "The Wind and the Lion" (I'm away from home so can't check my index of 70's issues), which I think is quite well-shot by Billy Williams, BSC... but it was a 35mm Panavision anamorphic movie, I don't think the C-Series anamorphics were out yet, I believe at the time there was something Panavision would have considered to be a "B-Series" but I don't think they were ever labeled that way.

#3 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:52 AM

I think "C"s were around then. Billy Williams did a great job shooting it and also has a small part in it . I saw a70mm print when it was released looked great Metrocolor labs did a lovely blow up .

#4 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:08 AM

I also think this film was quite well shot by Billy Williams, who made great use of the Spanish locations (Almería, Granada and Madrid, where the Palace Hotel doubled for The White House).

One interesting thing about Williams' work is that it seems that he pioneered the fast shutter angle technique now it's so usual. A few shots during the early action scenes of this film show the effect. I only know one previous film with fast shutters, "The Exorcist", shot by Owen Roizman, during the opening scenes in Irak. And if you take a closer look at the credits, you'll see that it was Billy Williams who shot that sequence for William Friedkin.

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

Very solid camera work and shot composition. I emailed the ASC about back issues, but haven't heard anything.

Visual Products

The Slider

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineLab

Glidecam