3 replies to this topic

#1 Abobakr Mohammed

Abobakr Mohammed
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

Hello everyone. I was just wondering, what are the best ways to achieve a shaky camera in a shot. I have seen some shaky camera shots that have been done by beginners and these shots become so annoying, while you look at others that don't.

I understand it depends on the kind of shot you are shooting... but I would like to hear your opinions and thoughts about this. I would like to know what are your techniques to achieve a shaky shot. thank you...

Edited by Abobakr Mohammed, 15 February 2011 - 01:15 AM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:11 AM

Depends what you're after.

I watched an action movie yesterday where the gunshots had been spiced up by application of a little camera shake, clearly in post - a very fast, high-frequency judder that would have been hard to do by hand. Alternatively you might be trying to simulate the effect of a moving vehicle, which can, with practice, be done by hand. There are devices which will shake the camera for you, often involving a motor rotating an eccentric weight system. It's not impossible to imagine building something like this in the shed, if that's your thing. I've seen them used in various modes - I think they were used in Saving Private Ryan, with the power to the motors sort of pulsed on and off to give a jagged look to the motion. Then you have to consider your camera settings - Ryan used narrow shutter angles to reduce motion blur and make things look more staccato, which would be particularly visible on whole-frame motion such as camera shake.

The only note of caution with this is that rolling shutter cameras (including DSLRs, and a lot of recent Sony and Canon prosumer gear) can look bad when moved very quickly, with the wobbliness becoming visible - shoot tests.

P

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

I tend to act as if the camera is poorly balanced. Of course you need to know how that feels, but it tends to give a natural shake.

#4 Abobakr Mohammed

Abobakr Mohammed
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

Depends what you're after.

I watched an action movie yesterday where the gunshots had been spiced up by application of a little camera shake, clearly in post - a very fast, high-frequency judder that would have been hard to do by hand. Alternatively you might be trying to simulate the effect of a moving vehicle, which can, with practice, be done by hand. There are devices which will shake the camera for you, often involving a motor rotating an eccentric weight system. It's not impossible to imagine building something like this in the shed, if that's your thing. I've seen them used in various modes - I think they were used in Saving Private Ryan, with the power to the motors sort of pulsed on and off to give a jagged look to the motion. Then you have to consider your camera settings - Ryan used narrow shutter angles to reduce motion blur and make things look more staccato, which would be particularly visible on whole-frame motion such as camera shake.

The only note of caution with this is that rolling shutter cameras (including DSLRs, and a lot of recent Sony and Canon prosumer gear) can look bad when moved very quickly, with the wobbliness becoming visible - shoot tests.

P

Thank you, Phil Rhodes... I truly appreciate you giving me this knowledge and this information... you were truly helpful. Thank you, thank you. I really appreciate it.

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products