• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ollie Walton

Ollie Walton
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Hi

I am shooting a Low Budget Horror Film.

Locations are all outside. We will have to budget a generator. Because otherwise it will be flash lights for close up reflected. Or striplights diffused, with mix K temp.

1) WHat are good reliable generators? Honda? and are they a hefty rental price?

2) If using lights, we will have to light outdoor for INT etc. We have a scene with a log cabin, where body parts etc are hanging off the ceiling. For shape/ reflection, what is the best way to light this? Just a diffused Key light?

I no side, lighting makes the object narrower, didn't want to use overhead lighting either. So what is the best way to create shape, texture and shadow?

One final question ...*breathe* :) What are the best Go between for texture and diffusion with lights. Gobos? CC stands with Mattes (white reflector).

Thanks for reading :) ( btw we be shooting on an ex1)

Ollie

#2 Ari Schaeffer

Ari Schaeffer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC/NJ

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hi

I am shooting a Low Budget Horror Film.

Locations are all outside. We will have to budget a generator. Because otherwise it will be flash lights for close up reflected. Or striplights diffused, with mix K temp.

1) WHat are good reliable generators? Honda? and are they a hefty rental price?

2) If using lights, we will have to light outdoor for INT etc. We have a scene with a log cabin, where body parts etc are hanging off the ceiling. For shape/ reflection, what is the best way to light this? Just a diffused Key light?

I no side, lighting makes the object narrower, didn't want to use overhead lighting either. So what is the best way to create shape, texture and shadow?

One final question ...*breathe* :) What are the best Go between for texture and diffusion with lights. Gobos? CC stands with Mattes (white reflector).

Thanks for reading :) ( btw we be shooting on an ex1)

Ollie

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking with some of this, but here goes:

1) http://www.hondapowe...cts/Generators/

I'm in the US/East Coast, so I'm not sure what rental procedures are like in the UK or if something else is standard on set, but yes, they are reliable (if you operate them correctly) and fairly inexpensive. 75 USD average on the 2k putt putts seems about right.

2) It's hard to say what the "best way" to light something is since the factors like the look of the location, the story, the time of day the scene is, etc will kind of dictate and motivate your lighting. For something like a horror, usually it's low key, contrasty, so I'd wager you'd pump some hard keys in through windows as some stark moonlight, fill in the rest of the room with some bounced light to bring it up as needed. you coulod still sidelight the body parts to give them a much creepier vibe, and then fill it in from the other side of the object with a diffused small unit or bounce as needed..orrrr you could just frontally fill them from behind camera, dead on, super diffused if you want 0 shadowing, but that might seem stranger having the room contrasty but these body parts perfectly flatly evenly exposed in the foreground...

3) I always go with a fresnel unit because of the versatility of spot/flood control, and the ability to bounce, diffuse it with gel/frames, or fabrics (chimeras, etc) to soften it. I'm of the mindset of, if I'm stuck with no money, I'd rather choose quantity of options over quality of options. It's also easier to make a cheap DIY soft source then a focusable source.

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS