1 reply to this topic

#1 bureaucrazy

bureaucrazy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

I just want to make sure my understanding is correct regarding the auto exposure settings and the internal filter when using vision 500T on the canon 814autozoom electronic.

For vision 500T

My understanding is as follows: The 500T cartridge presses in the daylight pin inside the camera by default so there is no filter engaged and the exposure is at 250ASA. If I cut a notch in the cartridge so that the pin is not pushed in, the filter will then be engaged so that the film will have the right colour in daylight and the meter will be at 400ASA. If I then screw in the red thing with the light bulb on it on the top, then the filter will be disengaged but the camera will still meter at 400ASA?

For Ektachrome 100D

Again as a daylight cartridge no filter will be engaged. If I screw in the red bulb, will it affect the metering at all?

What I'm trying to clarify is that I believe the internal daylight pin changes the exposure as well as engaging/disengaging the filter but the red screw on top just overrides the filter and the exposure setting of the internal pin stays the same.

I did read the other threads but still not sure

Thanks

#2 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:51 AM

Not sure about the little red thing, as this was the old-fashioned way of inserting/retracting the 85 filter.

There's an easy way to tell, though. Put the cartridge in, turn the meter on and check the f/stop. Then put the little red thing in and check the meter reading again. If there is a change by a stop or so, then it's altering the reading.

A notchless cartridge (that pushes in the filter pin) will always retract the internal 85 filter, no matter the position of a slide switch or filter key/red thingie. That's what it's for, to key the camera for a "daylight" film.

The newest VISION stocks come in a notched cartridge, I understand, and so they will set the meter to the high ASA of the speed-indice to which they are cut. If in doubt, measure the size of the speed-notch and then check the Super 8 notch ruler to see what the ASA is. It should be close to the film's ASA, or at least as close as the super 8 system allows.

These negative stocks are all non-standard ASAs for S8, so there's no auto-meter setting for them. But they're close enough.

For 100D, yes, that Canon will read the film correctly and retract the internal 85 filter at the same time. You don't need to do anything else.

Just to be sure, you can always look down the lens barrel and see the filter going in and out of place to see if and when it's set. For daylight film like 100D you do not want to use an 85 filter.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks