#1 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

I just finished my first ever short film for my university course. I shot it on a Canon 7d and 60d. I would like some critique on my shot composition mainly, i am not sure if i matched eyelines well and where the framing can be improved. As for the narrative itself, it’s a little incoherent, but the premise is a young model suspects her partner is cheating on her but in reality he is actually preparing to propose to her. Thanks

Ayo

#2 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

View on Vimeo

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

the proposal waiting in the wings didn't come through at all. I thought he was cheating on her and was setting her up to be the unfaithful one. All in all though, not bad at all. I was engaged, I wanted to keep watching. the two women were very good, subtle performances with out being over done. The compositions were great, they gave me a sense of where, when and why all while not getting in the way of the story, but rather enhancing it. Why did you use two different cameras? I saw some shots that looked kind of noisy, was that one camera and the cleaner shots another? I would have kept it black and white through out, I saw no need for color. I hope you get to shoot black and white film some day. Great work.

#4 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

the proposal waiting in the wings didn't come through at all. I thought he was cheating on her and was setting her up to be the unfaithful one. All in all though, not bad at all. I was engaged, I wanted to keep watching. the two women were very good, subtle performances with out being over done. The compositions were great, they gave me a sense of where, when and why all while not getting in the way of the story, but rather enhancing it. Why did you use two different cameras? I saw some shots that looked kind of noisy, was that one camera and the cleaner shots another? I would have kept it black and white through out, I saw no need for color. I hope you get to shoot black and white film some day. Great work.

Thanks for replying chris, there was meant to be a ring prop, unfortunately it wasn't present on the day we filmed and i couldn't afford rebooking the location. Yes there were two cameras, it was all done in two days so I had a 2 camera setup to save time. I used a 7d and 60d. The 7d faced screen right. The 7d used a 50mm 1.4 which is half a stop higher than stated, so it used a slightly slower than than the 60d which used a tamron 17-50m. I used the 50mm and 7d for all over shoulders for the blonde so i could give her the best image possible.Also both cameras had different color temperatures due to the different lenses. I am thinking or redoing the project but taking the model angle out so its more workable. Any areas you think I could improve?

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

CineTape